topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: USB TV tuner for W8.0 Laptop?  (Read 5758 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USB TV tuner for W8.0 Laptop?
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:24 PM »

It occurred to me instead of struggling trying to find streaming sources to watch stuff that is on local broadcast TV on my Laptop I might search for a TV tuner.

Does anyone have experience with inexpensive "self contained" tuners? Ideally I would like to plug a stick into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port and see the TV show on my Laptop screen. I'd rather not buy portable DVD. Not due to expense but I don't want to accumulate more stuff to lug around until I have an apartment or whatever.

I see some stuff at the egg quite cheap but I am not sure if I can view the output on my Laptop built-in screen in HD.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: USB TV tuner for W8.0 Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:05 AM »
Are you really looking for HD? Not sure if that is even available through an antenna-signal, I'd expect SD quality only :huh:
AFAIK you can watch TV on the laptop screen, though, what else would be the point of a usb-receiver?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 03:34 AM »
Are you really looking for HD? Not sure if that is even available through an antenna-signal, I'd expect SD quality only :huh:

Maybe not in the USA but HD DVB-T signal is routinely transmitted over FTA in other parts of the world, (eg. AUS, UK, NZ).  Here in AUS we're still mostly transmitting HD in MPEG2, with some HD MPEG4 transmissions.

I've used USB DVB-T devices for more than 6 years without any problem on desktops, laptops, and even my old netbook.  If your laptop specs aren't up to it then you might be stuck being only able to watch SD without stutter but I don't think you'll have that problem MilesAhead.

And as long as the tuner uses a standard BDA driver you can probably use whatever software you like to view the signal.

Of course, North America uses the ATSC standard but the requirements shouldn't be that much different.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:39 AM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 04:54 AM »
AFAIK you can watch TV on the laptop screen, though, what else would be the point of a usb-receiver?

I get you.  SD digital would likely not be that bad on the eyes.  There was a stick that had connections for a DVD player.  The descriptions are pretty short and with no customer reviews it is not always obvious if you don't have something running to look at.  It is a long trip to BestBuy.  Although not insurmountable I try to schedule it for a no rain day.  ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 05:01 AM »
I've used USB DVB-T devices for more than 6 years without any problem on desktops, laptops, and even my old netbook.  If your laptop specs aren't up to it then you might be stuck being only able to watch SD without stutter but I don't think you'll have that problem MilesAhead.

Thanks.  It sounds like I am on the right path.  At least for NFL football next year.  It is frustrating when the game is available on any TV set but I would have to stand in the mall and watch without sound, or pump money into a sports bar.  I don't drink alcohol and after a couple of Pellegrinos I feel bloated.  :)

Watching a few highlights on the Tube sucks.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:22 PM »
And as long as the tuner uses a standard BDA driver you can probably use whatever software you like to view the signal.

Of course, North America uses the ATSC standard but the requirements shouldn't be that much different.

Just to run this by you.  Does this gizmo fit the bill do you think?

http://www.newegg.co...9083AB3052-_-Product

Edit:  I am a bit paranoid as it mentions PAL but not ATSC.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 10:19 PM »

That's a DVB-T tuner - it won't work in the USA.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:51 PM »

That's a DVB-T tuner - it won't work in the USA.

Correct - it needs to state that it handles the ATSC standard.

Nice map from Wikipediaw:

Digital_broadcast_standards.svg.pngUSB TV tuner for W8.0 Laptop?

Newegg - Cheapest appears to be $37 for open box item.

If you're not in a hurry and can get it delivered somewhere, various Chinese shopping sites have them for US$8-15.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:00 AM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:38 AM »
If you're not in a hurry and can get it delivered somewhere, various Chinese shopping sites have them for US$8-15.

Thanks for the tip.   :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:26 PM »

Thanks for the tip.   :Thmbsup:

No problem but it usually means they will deliver only to the address associated with a PayPal account.

I had a site up yesterday with ATSC tuners for up to $15 ... think I can find it now  :-\

Otherwise, Monoprice on ebay has a couple.

Your biggest problem will be ensuring you have decent signal reception for it to work, the stick antennas they come with have never worked for me, I've always had to connect a decent external antenna.