topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro 4.7.0.0[free]  (Read 9150 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro 4.7.0.0[free]
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:13 AM »
http://sharewareonsa...disk-defrag-pro-sale

15 hours and change as of post time.

Edit:  This is a registration key for the full version for one year no updates.  I see it is on several of the freebie sites today.  I think it is all the same deal.  One license key fits all.  :)

Regular product page:
http://www.auslogics...are/disk-defrag-pro/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:00 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro [free]
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:00 AM »
I installed this and registered it without issue.  I ran a "simple defrag" and it took just about 10 minutes on my system.  Evidently even using the simple defrag the Pro version takes a more thorough approach than the Free.  Usually if I do analyze and it shows less than 1% fragmentation the defrag takes about 5 minutes. ( Edit: Just for grins I did a simple defrag by pushing the defrag button.  Just the analysis took 7 minutes whereas on Free it is more like 2 minutes.)

The one thing I do not like so far is the application's main window.  They disable the size box and assume you have a normal height Taskbar.  Well I have a triple height Taskbar and even though there is nothing written in the bottom section of the window that is obscured by the Taskbar, it will not let me resize the window.  The Free version lets me size the window as I like.  I don't understand the insistence on the window size.  (Edit:  I sent a suggestion about it via "Contact Us" on the web page.  But usually the guy running the page reads those. If it isn't about the site being broken likely it gets chucked in the bit bucket. )

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:34 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:06 AM »
But usually the guy running the page reads those. If it isn't about the site being broken likely it gets chucked in the bit bucket. )

I did get a pro forma reply from Auslogics Support about allowing user resize of the main window.  Even if they insist on making it fixed size they should at least get the desktop work area to account for the taskbar.  As it is there is plenty of wasted space in the information display.  I don't see why resizable with a vertical scrollbar would ruin things.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 09:13 AM »
After using this a couple of days the main thing I like over the Free is the fragmentation analysis gives percentage fragmented to 2 decimal places.  If less than 1% fragmented the Free analysis shows 0% fragmented.  But in my experience with it I fragmented anyway because there was no way to tell how close to 0 the fragmentation actually was.  I noticed a speed up often after defragging a "0% fragmented" drive with the Free version.

The Free version is actually a bit faster if used frequently.  But for free I'll use the Pro until the license expires.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:57 PM »
I got an email from Auslogics Support asking for a screen shot and explanation of the problem.  I always liked their free defragger.  I must say I am impressed they followed up the next day after the form letter reply.

Now it remains to be seen if they will allow the window to be resized.  :)
Here is the screen shot I sent if anyone is curious.

Note: I tried inserting it inline but it gets cropped at the bottom.  So it goes.  :)
Reading Slaughterhouse 5 I can't stop saying "so it goes."

So it goes.  :)

NOW it decides to work.  So it goes.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:03 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:06 AM »
I guess I am done with communicating with Auslogics Support.  They request all this unnecessary information about my system when all that is required is for the programmer to call SystemParametersInfo() API with SPI_GETWORKAREA to account for the size and position of the Taskbar.  This has been around since Win9x if not earlier.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Uhhh...why would they require anything from you about your system if their window is not resizable? It will either resize or it won't. Period. It's not like users with Geforce cards get a resizable window and Radeon users don't.

Twits.

Full disclosure: I'm a PerfectDisk fanboy....and their window is resizable.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Uhhh...why would they require anything from you about your system if their window is not resizable? It will either resize or it won't. Period. It's not like users with Geforce cards get a resizable window and Radeon users don't.

Twits.

Full disclosure: I'm a PerfectDisk fanboy....and their window is resizable.

It is bizarre to say the least.  The Free version is perfectly fine UI wise with the resizable window.  The Pro has a splash screen and more eye candy.  But I still don't see why it can't have a vertical scroll bar.

I checked the MD5 of the trial download from their site and it is the same installer.  So I assume the non-giveaway version has the same no resize bit going on.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 12:44 PM »
I like the pro version. It lets me defrag both my SATA hard drive at work, and my SSD on my home machine (has a special procedure so that it doesn't screw up the SSD).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 01:24 PM »
I like the pro version. It lets me defrag both my SATA hard drive at work, and my SSD on my home machine (has a special procedure so that it doesn't screw up the SSD).

So far I like it.  But for some reason "simple defrag" takes longer than with the Free.  Anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes where the Free is done in 5.  The analysis phase seems much slower.  I haven't tried any of the more advanced features yet.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 08:34 PM »
The pro version likely checks where files should be located for optimum performance during the defrag, while the free version just defrags.

Isn't there more info about the feature-set that applied by default between these two versions?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 08:27 AM »
The pro version likely checks where files should be located for optimum performance during the defrag, while the free version just defrags.

Isn't there more info about the feature-set that applied by default between these two versions?

The default in Pro is "simple defrag."  The only difference that stands out in the scanning phase is Pro gives a percentage fragmented with 2 decimal places.  The Free just gives an integer.  And if it is less than 1% it just says 0% fragmented.  The other thing with the Pro when I do a defrag I don't sense the difference like I can with the Free.  It gives this detailed report on simple defrag but it feels exactly the same as before I defragged the drive.  Kind of weird.  I hope it is not a placebo.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro [free] now on GOTD
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 08:01 AM »
http://www.giveawayo...sk-defrag-pro-4-6-0/

17 hours and change left as of this posting.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 09:10 AM »
I found the reason for the speed difference of the Pro and Free versions.  The Free had VSS compatible mode disabled.  The Pro had it enabled.  When disabled the Pro analysis scan took less than 2 minutes.  The total defrag elapsed time was 5 minutes.

I have enabled VSS compatible mode in case defragging without it was messing up my Restore Points.
Edit:  In the notes it says VSS compatible tries to minimize the file movement to avoid messing up restore points etc..  So me thinks this is why I don't notice much of a speed up of disk i/o.  On the Free version I had this disabled so the optimization was evidently better.  If you do not use Restore Points then disabling this feature would yield better results in a shorter time.

I tried a restore point and it worked.  So the jury is still out.  If they work less than half the time I may just disable them and rely on Macrium Reflect incremental backup to safeguard my system.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:45 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro 4.7.0.0[free]
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 08:08 AM »
http://giveaway.downloadcrew.com/

2 hours 47 min left as of post modification date/time.

Note that if you have a giveaway version of 4.6.0.0 installed you may be able to update.  I installed 4.7.0.0 and it picked up that I was registered and told me how many days left on the one year registration.  It probably allows the update since it is only a bug fix release.  No new features.

I only use the simple defrag method.  The only thing Pro has that the free doesn't that I care about is the fragmentation analysis.  It shows the fragmentation in n.nn format whereas the free only shows the percent fragmented as an integer.  If your disk is .50% fragmented the free version reports 0% fragmented.  Using Auslogics defrag for a long time I seem to notice a slight performance difference from 1 to 3 percent or so.  If you install and delete a lot of stuff it can zoom to over 5% quickly.  Then things slow quite a bit.

But especially with RollbackRX I like to know just how fragmented the disk is since I have to uninstall before defragging to avoid scrambling the Rollback snapshots.