ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2016

NANY 2016 Pledge/Alpha: Mouser's Media Browser

<< < (3/6) > >>

MikleB:
I'm sorry I haven't replied to this excellent post yet -- I promise I will in the next few days -- I've been away from home for last week or so.
-mouser (April 22, 2016, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is quite understandable, as along with everything else you have a quarter of a million registered users vying for your time and attention!¿ "Me thinks it 'mazing"... you bother to reply to any negative posts, and you get too many of those, and after 10 years of putting up with the amount of, let's say 'Trolls' that pass through here, and their uncalled for criticisms, yet you cordially reply to them... You stated once that I had patience, that is surely the pot calling the kettle black.  ;D .

I had noticed the lack of mouser input these past two weeks or so.

I hope your absence was for a happy reason.

And thanks for the qualification you conferred on my post. It's just I love English, it has such capabilities to be very precise in it's conveyed meanings, and though it may take more than a word or two to say somethings, I do believe that it best to try to be clear at the risk of being lengthy, rather than be possibly perceived as blase and have my meanings inaccurately interpreted as negative, just for the sake of brevity on my part. Especially regarding another person's toils. I can picture you toiling over red hot code, and though I encountered a problem, I admire what you are producing and in no way wish my posts to be less than helpful in what you are doing on line. Plus, it avoids the process of you having to ask for clarification as to what is my meaning regarding my experience, I have seen you have to do that too often.

Things that you need to know exactly to be able to fix the issues, do, I understand, need to spelt out on probably all occasions, especially where you have not experienced the problem yourself. Hopefully I have provided useful input into the workings of your software at my end. I greatly suspect that to have all the information in one or two posts is way better than having to search through, or refer to many different post and allows both a more succinct understanding of the issues and may provide a better framework as to how to proceed to fix the actual issue, than when it is spread all over the place.

I know it is early days yet for "Mouser's Media Browser".

Cheers,

MikleB

mouser:
Ok finally let me try to reply to these posts!

First, thanks for the info about the on-top behavior hiding the about box.
All of the behavior you describe about the program being unresponsive is all due to the fact that a dialog (about box) was behind the main window which was forcing itself on top.
This is a bug that has been seen in a couple of my other programs -- i need to remember to not let it creep back in!
I occasionally see it in other people's programs as well. I will fix.
ps. a good solution in this case is just select the main window and hit escape.  The escape key will usually close the hidden dialog.

Second,
About this program needing its own section -- you are probably right.  I usually do create a section for each app of mine, but this one hasn't gotten much attention so i haven't bothered yet.  Same with my Automatic Screenshotter tool.

mouser:
Detail's-view Mode' feature; But as an optional extra panel rather than a replacement of either the filmstrip or grid view.
--- End quote ---

yeah i think a small detail panel, showing details about the currently selected file would be a good idea.

mouser:
Any more suggestions?

I think this program has a very narrow niche use -- that's because there are some very excellent completely free image browsers (xnview for example), which have tons of features and work very well.

I do feel like this program (Mouser's Media Browser) could play a role as a kind of bundled add-on for other programs (like my own Screenshot Captor and Clipboard Helps and Spell, and Automatic Screenshotter). It occurred to me that other tools might want to bundle it in to their tools as well.

There are 2 main features that I need to add to the program before i think it will show its true value:

* The first is to make it properly multithreaded, so that there is no delay when browsing large directories -- right now the program is unresponsive while scanning very large directories.
* The second is to add a virtual-date folder idea that i have which would make a very nice way to browse large directories of images, by providing a hierarchical timeline type view.

IainB:
I had been trying to see if I could improve the viewing of image files in the CHS database, so I tried using MMB (Mouser's Media Browser) as the viewer, instead of irfanview (which was what I had been using previously).
This was following on from:
yes this is one reason i wrote this tool -- so i can bundle MMB as a tool to other programs like CHS, to let people browse their clipped images easily.
-mouser (January 02, 2016, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I do feel like this program (Mouser's Media Browser) could play a role as a kind of bundled add-on for other programs (like my own Screenshot Captor and Clipboard Helps and Spell, and Automatic Screenshotter). It occurred to me that other tools might want to bundle it in to their tools as well.
-mouser (May 12, 2016, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I put MousersMediaBrowser.exe into CHS as the External Image Viewer (CHS Options | Image Capture), then I get the error message above when I try to view an image in the CHS database, via the CHS GUI.

* Q1: Is it possible to set MMB to view a single image file in the CHS database?

* Q2: Ideally, I'd like to move from viewing that single image, to smoothly browsing all the images in the CHS database - (say) as a flat file - which may occur before or after the date of the initial one being viewed, using MMB. Is there an easy way to set this up?

I think Q2 could also be relevant to where you say above:
...The second is to add a virtual-date folder idea that i have which would make a very nice way to browse large directories of images, by providing a hierarchical timeline type view.[/li][/list]
-mouser (May 12, 2016, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version