topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: backup strategy  (Read 15778 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: backup strategy
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 06:13 AM »
You still need to charge that pen drive through a USB port. So with which intervals do you need to charge the pan drive? And for how long? And the WiFi on it...how secure is that? (WPA-2 or better?)

Look, it is always the same. Convenience == insecurity. And it always means that the information is not that important after all. Maybe in the mind of the owner, but not in reality. If they are so afraid  about information being lost when the laptop is stolen...the cloud isn't going to help you. Especially when the laptop is your only computer.

After all, how long would it take for the thieves to retrieve passwords to online services? If they set their minds to it, not long. Oh...you used a password manager. How nice for you. The delinquents  have this software on your laptop. How long before the master password is revealed? Again, not long.

If you want to have a backup, you must disconnect that information from the device you create/edit it on. Because if you don't, the backed up information info is just as susceptible to thievery, in-house accidents (water or fire damage), malware and/or viruses as the original information. You might have the impression that you have a backup, but, in reality, you won't. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when the occasionally connecting of pen drives is already too inconvenient...don't even bother with backups at all. Maybe a bit harsh, but better this than finding out the really hard way you don't have a backup and lost whatever 'extremely important information' you had. Backups have nothing to do with convenience and much(!) more with discipline and it really would be better if you realize this sooner than later.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 07:55 AM »
^ great post shades :up:
makes me wonder (again) though about the security of my laptop -- and smartphone, but that's another topic (I might get around to starting a thread about it).
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 09:53 AM »
You still need to charge that pen drive through a USB port. So with which intervals do you need to charge the pan drive? And for how long? And the WiFi on it...how secure is that? (WPA-2 or better?)

I was giving that to him as a help, since he talked about having to connect the pen drive.  And yes, it does use WPA2 - WPA2-PSK specifically.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 11:04 AM »
And even if you do have larger problems... I can still solve your primary objection.

https://www.sandisk....nnect-wireless-stick
it does use WPA2 - WPA2-PSK specifically.

that does look very interesting, and reasonably affordable (probably cheaper again over your side of the water).
Tom

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 01:20 PM »
@Shades
excuse me, how can having an online backup service be the same as having no backup strategy at all???

in case the laptop gets lost or stolen or corrupted, the data will always be accessible online so I won't completely lose it

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 01:23 PM »
in case the laptop gets lost or stolen or corrupted, the data will always [may] be accessible online

ftfy kalos ;-)
Tom

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 01:25 PM »
in case the laptop gets lost or stolen or corrupted, the data will always [may] be accessible online

ftfy kalos ;-)

why? do you often hear for data losses in gmail servers for example?? even if I have the previous version of the lost data, it would be very satisfying too from nothing!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 02:54 PM »
^ We're going around in circles here. And you appear to be an expert in not hearing what people say, so I'll finish up by saying:

yes,
online backup is better than nothing -- when it comes to the crunch, you have a good chance of being ok.

You say your data is 'extremely important' -- it looks like we have very different definitions of what that means.

FWIW the thread has been helpful to me cause it makes me realise I need to look a little closer at the setups I do have in place. Because having any un-checked/tested backups are not a particularly great solution either.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 03:22 PM »

ftfy kalos ;-)

why? do you often hear for data losses in gmail servers for example?? even if I have the previous version of the lost data, it would be very satisfying too from nothing!

http://googledrivesucks.com/

http://blog.cloudhq....gle-drive-data-loss/

https://productforum...ic/drive/WPtLkVSznts

Of course, you'll find similar stories with any cloud service, honestly.  Some are holes in the service, and others are user problems.  Check them out, and do what you will.  With any, you're taking a non-zero risk.  That's the reason that people have more than one backup solution- depending on how important the files are.  And since it's your data, it's better to craft your own, whatever that entails.  People have given you options and pros and cons.  I think it's time for you to decide based on your own research at this point.