ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

backup strategy

<< < (5/7) > >>

kalos:
OK, but it doesn't really make any sense to do that, I want to save my data in case someone breaks into my house and steal my laptop! He will also steal the usb as well!
-kalos (December 27, 2015, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not if you have it on you?
-wraith808 (December 27, 2015, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

and I will plug it in every time I want to use my laptop? that's very inconvenient!

4wd:
OK, but it doesn't really make any sense to do that, I want to save my data in case someone breaks into my house and steal my laptop! He will also steal the usb as well!
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

and I will plug it in every time I want to use my laptop? that's very inconvenient!
-kalos (December 27, 2015, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not what wraith said.

Someone can't steal the flash drive if it's with you, they can steal the laptop but not the flash drive ... thus your data is still available.

If you're going to keep the flash drive with your laptop and you're worried about it being stolen with the laptop then don't bother making a backup because you have other problems.

MilesAhead:
Someone can't steal the flash drive if it's with you, they can steal the laptop but not the flash drive ... thus your data is still available.
-4wd (December 27, 2015, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

He could always hide a pen drive with a copy of the backup, in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnalls back porch.  Nobody would think of stealing it there.  :)

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

-kalos (December 27, 2015, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not what wraith said.

If you're going to keep the flash drive with your laptop and you're worried about it being stolen with the laptop then don't bother making a backup because you have other problems.
-4wd (December 27, 2015, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

And even if you do have larger problems... I can still solve your primary objection.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/connect-wireless-stick

tomos:
Backup is unfortunately rarely convenient - that is if want you do it properly.

For the ongoing 'monitored' realtime backup, you could always use one of those tiny pen drives -- and leave that always plugged in to the laptop (same as the idea above to backup to a partition on the laptop).
You'd still have to copy that backed-up content very regularly to another drive, be it a full external HD, or to another pen drive. Again, as said multiple times here: keep separate from the laptop, and ideally have one recent copy of same somewhere else completely.

Online backup gives another level of security, but it's just one layer of backup where things can go wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version