ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Holy day

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tuxman:
Of related interest-rjbull (December 22, 2015, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure thing, if you'd prefer to make everything a weird form of Christendom ...  :huh:

tomos:
You're late :p-tomos (December 22, 2015, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not in my timezone!
-Tuxman (December 22, 2015, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Doch!

Tuxman:
Nö!

The winter solstice is related to the sun's highest point on the particular day, which means "Dec 22nd at noon" which was around the time I posted here.  :P

tomos:
Nö!

The winter solstice is related to the sun's highest point on the particular day, which means "Dec 22nd at noon" which was around the time I posted here.  :P
-Tuxman (December 22, 2015, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
hmmm, okay,
I (always) thought it was always on the 21st :-\

Wikipedia doesnt give any date, and says this
=>
Observances

Although the instant of the solstice can be calculated,[7] direct observation of the solstice by amateurs is impossible because the sun moves too slowly or appears to stand still (the meaning of "solstice"). However, by use of astronomical data tracking, the precise timing of its occurrence is now public knowledge. One cannot directly detect the precise instant of the solstice (by definition, one cannot observe that an object has stopped moving until one later observes that it has not moved further from the preceding spot, or that it has moved in the opposite direction)[citation needed]. Further, to be precise to a single day, one must be able to observe a change in azimuth or elevation less than or equal to about 1/60 of the angular diameter of the sun. Observing that it occurred within a two-day period is easier, requiring an observation precision of only about 1/16 of the angular diameter of the sun. Thus, many observations are of the day of the solstice rather than the instant. This is often done by observing the sunrise and sunset or using an astronomically aligned instrument that allows a ray of light to be cast on a certain point around that time. Before the scientific revolution, many forms of observances, astronomical, symbolic or ritualistic, had evolved according to the beliefs of various cultures, many of which are still practiced today.
--- End quote ---

Are you familiar with Newgrange in Ireland? (Looking for a decent video on it...)

Edit// in the infobox at the beginning in the wikipedia page:
Date
Between December 21 and December 23 (NH)
--- End quote ---
I'm learning ;-)

Tuxman:
The exact day depends on the nature.  :D
The German Wikipedia has a list for the upcoming years.

Hm, a video? For what?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version