topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: restart switch  (Read 4681 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
restart switch
« on: December 20, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Is it possible to restart multiple IP network switches at once or by schedule?

Yes, I can restart them one by one using the web browser but that is time consuming.

Not having much luck searching Google.

open for suggestions?  Possible to do with coding snack?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: restart switch
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 02:48 PM »
What kind of switches are they?  Can you access them via CLI over Telnet/SSH?  Any reason you need to bounce them regularly?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 03:30 PM »
You could probably automate using Powershell ... or there's the low tech method of turning them off/on via a timer switch.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 10:13 PM »
They are Netgear Business Switches.  JGS524 and JGS524PE. These switches

not sure I understand you skwire.  but that's ok.  4wd, I hadn't thought of the low tech solutions, but that will be hard to do when they are plugged into a battery backup.

I do not have to restart them real often but they are scattered through out the building and didn't want to walk all over.  Some are quite high on the wall as well.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 11:11 PM »
... but that will be hard to do when they are plugged into a battery backup.

Plug the timer into the UPS, then the switch into the timer.

skwire means that some switches allow you to use SSH (Secure Shellw) to access the switch interface, (a lot of routers also allow this).  It normally just needs to be enabled from within the web interface, (if it isn't already), then you can connect using Putty, (I prefer Kitty), and use a command line interface to perform functions.

Using Putty/Kitty/etc (Kitty allows automated scripting) should allow some scripting to cause a restart.

Otherwise, I can try to automate using Powershell but I'd probably need the web interface source for the login page and the relevant menu pages to trigger a restart.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:52 AM by 4wd »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:21 AM »
They are Netgear Business Switches.  JGS524 and JGS524PE. These switches

not sure I understand you skwire.  but that's ok.  4wd, I hadn't thought of the low tech solutions, but that will be hard to do when they are plugged into a battery backup.

I do not have to restart them real often but they are scattered through out the building and didn't want to walk all over.  Some are quite high on the wall as well.
If you are having difficulties with that kind of professional switches, you have, IMHO, 3 options:
  • Send a complaint to the supplier
  • Upgrade the firmware to the latest available
  • Improve the cooling/airflow of the unit
Restarting at irregular intervals is about the last option I'd consider :down:

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:03 AM »
In some places I will have as many as 4 switches plugged into the UPS.  certainly not ideal, but the building was wired long before I went onboard.

The battery backups are there to protect them from power flickers and short power outages.  Most of the time, the power is out 1 to 2 hours.  Occasionally, which is not very often, the switches will need to be restarted after such an event.  While these switches are not 100% smart switches yet they are not dumb switches either.  They do take a little longer to boot than my totally dumb switches do. 

the power situation with the electric company has improved but it is not where I would like for it to be.  Cannot do much about that.