ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Long Path Fixer

<< < (3/5) > >>

rjbull:
New Max length of long file names?
xplorer² now supports path with lengths of up to 32768 letters. That should cover the most verbose file organization cabinet!
--- End quote ---
-IainB (March 13, 2017, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
With a file name that long, who needs file contents?

Curt:
New Max length of long file names?xplorer² now supports path with lengths of up to 32768 letters. That should cover the most verbose file organization cabinet!
--- End quote ---
-IainB (March 13, 2017, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

^ not just xplorer². The point of this thread is that from now on every man's Explorer has the same 32768 / 32767-limit:

Long Path Fixer
Copy, Move, Rename and Delete files and folders with Very Long Paths.

Got a "Path Too Long" error in Windows? Try this free utility for moving, copying, renaming and deleting files and folders with Very Long Paths. Why? Because the alternative (Long Path Tool) is shit payware by a shitty company that employs idiots to spam the entire internet about their crappy product.

What does it do? Simply put, Long Path Fixer enables you to "get at" files and folders that Windows Explorer refuses to reach, that is, anything with a path longer than the Windows API can handle (MAX_PATH: 259 actual characters). With Long Path Fixer, you can effortlessly manipulate files and folders with paths of up to 32,767 characters in length. No destination is "Too Long"!-Long Path Fixer
--- End quote ---

-if they all have this "Long Path Fixer" installed: https://corz.org/windows/software/accessories/Long-Path-Fixer-for-Windows.php

Curt:
It now seems to me that Windows still cannot handle file/folder names longer than 259 characters. What Long Path Fixer is doing - please correct me if I am wrong - is that it makes Windows able to Copy, Move, Rename and Delete files and folders with path names taking up 260 characters or longer, but it does not make Explorer able to handle them as normal files/folders; They are still not accepted as valid file/folder names if they are longer than 259 characters - but now Explorer is just able to Copy, Move, Rename and Delete them! This is merely theory to me, I have not tried to test it, but I think 259 will still be the valid limit in Explorer.

IainB:
@Curt: ^^ Yes, thanks and my apologies. I had meant to but omitted to provide (was interrupted) the relevant links that discuss the points you make - they were on the zabkat.com (xplorer²) blog:

* How to break through the MAX_PATH directory/folder name barrier
* xplorer² v3.4 bends the laws of physics shell, for extra long folder names
I shall add them into my post.

What I hadn't realised was that the max was 32768 letters, though I was glad that xplorer² could now handle it. Mind you, it did occur to me, as @rjbull says:
...With a file name that long, who needs file contents?
-rjbull (March 13, 2017, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
(Well, for .txt files, anyway.)    :)

gabriel3:
Try long Path Tool

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version