topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Long Path Fixer  (Read 16152 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Long Path Fixer
« on: December 18, 2015, 08:05 AM »
There were a couple of threads about "path too long" error in the past.  I noticed this freeware to fix path too long errors.  The page seems to have quality freeware so I thought I would mention it.

Too Long Path Fixer

64 bit Freeware Page

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Long Path Fixer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Related to this is an article describing a Registry Tweak to remove this 260 char path limitation in Windows 10:

http://www.addictive...dows-10/#more-183300

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Until I read that, I had not realised that you could fix this in Win10 either through a small change in Windows Group Policy (if you have access to it) or a small Registry change.
Is a dead simple fix now, it seems.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 12:07 PM »
Until I read that, I had not realised that you could fix this in Win10 either through a small change in Windows Group Policy (if you have access to it) or a small Registry change.
Is a dead simple fix now, it seems.

If someone mentioned it I had forgotten about it until I ran across that article.  My kingdom for a workbench with a dozen junk, er, I mean, previously new but expendable, PCs so I can try 10 and a lot of Linux stuff out.  It seems like W10 is solidifying.   ;D

But my next thing is to get a smart phone to program, or try to.  I can fit that in my bag at least.  :)

Edit:  I wonder if a performance hit motivated MS to leave it disabled by default?  Perhaps it has to load additional code as in yet another DLL hooked to Explorer?  Just speculating.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 12:52 PM »
...Edit:  I wonder if a performance hit motivated MS to leave it disabled by default?  Perhaps it has to load additional code as in yet another DLL hooked to Explorer?  Just speculating.
Then it was. "Oh well" (click). Enabled.
Perhaps I've just bogged my laptop...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 04:45 PM »
...Edit:  I wonder if a performance hit motivated MS to leave it disabled by default?  Perhaps it has to load additional code as in yet another DLL hooked to Explorer?  Just speculating.
Then it was. "Oh well" (click). Enabled.
Perhaps I've just bogged my laptop...

Please post if you notice a lag not there previously.  I am just curious how the drama unfolds.   ;D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Downloading. Seems interesting.
Best Regards
 :-*

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Sorry for any duplication, but this is just in case I had omitted to link things together.
Cross-posting from: How To Enable Paths Longer Than 260 Characters In Windows 10

@Shades: The article How To Enable Paths Longer Than 260 Characters In Windows 10 mentions that Win10 Home won't permit access to the GPE (Group Policy Editor), but it does allow access to Regedit (the Registry Editor).
I presume it would be correct, but out of interest I shall try to remember to check it out next time I am working on a Win10 Home PC (like you, I am not usually using Win10 Home - I use Win10 PRO).

This is also linked in the Index at: Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 04:29 AM »
The obvious (to me, at least) reason this feature shouldn't be enabled by default is backward compatibility.
A lot of existing and stable (you could read: no longer maintained) software uses a fixed buffer-size of 260/261 bytes for storing filenames. All that software may need fixes in this area, but would probably crash & burn unpredictably if longer filenames would become the default.

Btw, did anyone take note of the new max length for filenames?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 01:25 PM »
New Max length of long file names?
You may have heard the news that windows 10 "supports long paths" (total length >=260 letters) but that doesn't include the shell or windows explorer. In the interest of people that prefer long descriptive folder names, and after lots of low level work, xplorer² now supports path with lengths of up to 32768 letters. That should cover the most verbose file organization cabinet! ...

EDIT 2017-03-15 0048hrs:
Apologies. I had meant to but omitted to provide the relevant links that discuss this, on the zabkat.com (xplorer²) blog:
The qoute came from the 2nd of those links.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:52 AM by IainB »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 04:44 PM »
xplorer² now supports path with lengths of up to 32768 letters. That should cover the most verbose file organization cabinet!
With a file name that long, who needs file contents?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 05:39 PM »
xplorer² now supports path with lengths of up to 32768 letters. That should cover the most verbose file organization cabinet!

^ not just xplorer². The point of this thread is that from now on every man's Explorer has the same 32768 / 32767-limit:

Long Path Fixer
Copy, Move, Rename and Delete files and folders with Very Long Paths.

Got a "Path Too Long" error in Windows? Try this free utility for moving, copying, renaming and deleting files and folders with Very Long Paths. Why? Because the alternative (Long Path Tool) is shit payware by a shitty company that employs idiots to spam the entire internet about their crappy product.

What does it do? Simply put, Long Path Fixer enables you to "get at" files and folders that Windows Explorer refuses to reach, that is, anything with a path longer than the Windows API can handle (MAX_PATH: 259 actual characters). With Long Path Fixer, you can effortlessly manipulate files and folders with paths of up to 32,767 characters in length. No destination is "Too Long"!
-Long Path Fixer

-if they all have this "Long Path Fixer" installed: https://corz.org/windows/software/accessories/Long-Path-Fixer-for-Windows.php

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25 AM »
It now seems to me that Windows still cannot handle file/folder names longer than 259 characters. What Long Path Fixer is doing - please correct me if I am wrong - is that it makes Windows able to Copy, Move, Rename and Delete files and folders with path names taking up 260 characters or longer, but it does not make Explorer able to handle them as normal files/folders; They are still not accepted as valid file/folder names if they are longer than 259 characters - but now Explorer is just able to Copy, Move, Rename and Delete them! This is merely theory to me, I have not tried to test it, but I think 259 will still be the valid limit in Explorer.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 06:45 AM »
@Curt: ^^ Yes, thanks and my apologies. I had meant to but omitted to provide (was interrupted) the relevant links that discuss the points you make - they were on the zabkat.com (xplorer²) blog:

I shall add them into my post.

What I hadn't realised was that the max was 32768 letters, though I was glad that xplorer² could now handle it. Mind you, it did occur to me, as @rjbull says:
...With a file name that long, who needs file contents?

gabriel3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Try long Path Tool

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 03:49 AM »
Long Path Fixer
Copy, Move, Rename and Delete files and folders with Very Long Paths. Got a "Path Too Long" error in Windows? Try this free utility for moving, copying, renaming and deleting files and folders with Very Long Paths.

Why?
Because the alternative (Long Path Tool) is shit payware by a shitty company that employs idiots to spam the entire internet about their crappy product.
-Long Path Fixer

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 04:23 AM »
^ ouch!
that's harsh.
It may well be true but I dont know: one post doesnt confirm it for me.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 05:08 AM »
one post doesnt confirm it for me.

It's not the first post by a long shot..  They keep spamming this forum over and over again  We just remove the spam posts so you don't see them.

[In fairness -- the program is relevant to this discussion so it wouldn't be so bad to have one relevant post about it here with an explanation from the poster.  But they keep making multiple spam posts about the tool in various inappropriate places on the forum and that needs to stop.]

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 06:16 AM »
They keep spamming this forum over and over again  We just remove the spam posts so you don't see them.
[
Try long Path Tool
]
thanks for confirming, mouser :up:
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 12:20 PM »
They keep spamming this forum over and over again  We just remove the spam posts so you don't see them.

[In fairness -- the program is relevant to this discussion so it wouldn't be so bad to have one relevant post about it here with an explanation from the poster.  But they keep making multiple spam posts about the tool in various inappropriate places on the forum and that needs to stop.]

Sounds like it's time to use the banhammer. Leave the one post here if you want, but ban the spammer to prevent further spam. That's what I'd do. :)

(And IMO, a spammer doesn't deserve the benefit of leaving one post behind advertising their product or whatever they're shilling.)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 05:07 PM »

Sounds like it's time to use the banhammer. Leave the one post here if you want, but ban the spammer to prevent further spam. That's what I'd do. :)

(And IMO, a spammer doesn't deserve the benefit of leaving one post behind advertising their product or whatever they're shilling.)

I'm pretty sure he does ban the users, but It's not the same user

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Exactly.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 02:35 AM »
Folder Size 3.7.0.0

This new release of Folder Size provides a lot of new features and improvements. Some requested by YOU – our valuable customers some designed to make things easier and clearer.

Longest Paths And File Names Report
As the name suggests this report sorts all files in a folder and all its sub-folders by path length. This makes it easy to identify long paths that may cause problems during data migration and backup processes. Long paths may cause issues also with the system and certain applications. Though the recommended path size in Windows should not exceed 260 characters there are certain cases where creating such paths is possible. Of course such paths cause issues at a later stage when accessed. The new report makes it easy to identify and fix those long paths.
-MindGems

freeware: http://www.mindgems....ize/Folder-Size.html  http://info.mindgems.com/

I should mention that the shareware competitor, FolderSizes Pro from Key Metric, from version 7 already has this feature. It's now at version 8: http://www.foldersizes.com/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:43 AM by Curt »