ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Long Path Fixer

<< < (2/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
...Edit:  I wonder if a performance hit motivated MS to leave it disabled by default?  Perhaps it has to load additional code as in yet another DLL hooked to Explorer?  Just speculating.
-MilesAhead (September 11, 2016, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly. You may well be right. How to test?
My first thought was, "Finally!"
Then, "Now why would they want to leave that disabled by default in this shiny new OS?"
Then it was. "Oh well" (click). Enabled.
Perhaps I've just bogged my laptop...
-IainB (September 11, 2016, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please post if you notice a lag not there previously.  I am just curious how the drama unfolds.   ;D

Contro:
Downloading. Seems interesting.
Best Regards
 :-*

IainB:
Sorry for any duplication, but this is just in case I had omitted to link things together.
Cross-posting from: How To Enable Paths Longer Than 260 Characters In Windows 10

@Shades: The article How To Enable Paths Longer Than 260 Characters In Windows 10 mentions that Win10 Home won't permit access to the GPE (Group Policy Editor), but it does allow access to Regedit (the Registry Editor).
I presume it would be correct, but out of interest I shall try to remember to check it out next time I am working on a Win10 Home PC (like you, I am not usually using Win10 Home - I use Win10 PRO).
-IainB (September 13, 2016, 09:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is also linked in the Index at: Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements

Ath:
The obvious (to me, at least) reason this feature shouldn't be enabled by default is backward compatibility.
A lot of existing and stable (you could read: no longer maintained) software uses a fixed buffer-size of 260/261 bytes for storing filenames. All that software may need fixes in this area, but would probably crash & burn unpredictably if longer filenames would become the default.

Btw, did anyone take note of the new max length for filenames?

IainB:
New Max length of long file names?
You may have heard the news that windows 10 "supports long paths" (total length >=260 letters) but that doesn't include the shell or windows explorer. In the interest of people that prefer long descriptive folder names, and after lots of low level work, xplorer² now supports path with lengths of up to 32768 letters. That should cover the most verbose file organization cabinet! ...

--- End quote ---
:o

EDIT 2017-03-15 0048hrs:
Apologies. I had meant to but omitted to provide the relevant links that discuss this, on the zabkat.com (xplorer²) blog:

* How to break through the MAX_PATH directory/folder name barrier
* xplorer² v3.4 bends the laws of physics shell, for extra long folder namesThe qoute came from the 2nd of those links.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version