ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 50.0 stable release

(1/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
Firefox 43.0 stable on Softpedia.  I can;'t find release notes that aren't about the 43.x beta though.

Supposedly this is the last FF that will let you opt out of signed AddOn enforcement by using the about:config setting xpinstall.signatures.required

TaoPhoenix:
Firefox 43.0 stable on Softpedia.  I can;'t find release notes that aren't about the 43.x beta though.

Supposedly this is the last FF that will let you opt out of signed AddOn enforcement by using the about:config setting xpinstall.signatures.required
-MilesAhead (December 14, 2015, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Watch out for this one though, if I recall, this is the one it stops being a warning and "auto -blocks" unsigned add-ons so I dunno what that means for various people. I certainly haven't examined my addons in detail ...

MilesAhead:

-MilesAhead (December 14, 2015, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Watch out for this one though, if I recall, this is the one it stops being a warning and "auto -blocks" unsigned add-ons so I dunno what that means for various people. I certainly haven't examined my addons in detail ...

-TaoPhoenix (December 14, 2015, 09:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Firefox is undergoing chrome-itization.  Just like Opera.  In the list of releases upcoming for FF it says that AddOns will be using a new Webapi similar to chrome and Opera.  And Opera is similar to chrome, so they may as well just call them all chrome variants.

xtabber:
As of Firefox 43, add-ons need to be signed by Mozilla to be installed.

As per Mozilla:
Starting with Firefox 43, there are some restrictions in place for add-on distribution. Extensions and multipackage installers that support Firefox need to be signed by Mozilla in order for them to be installable in release and beta versions of Firefox. Note that this only applies to add-on types 2 and 32; other add-on types like themes and language packs don't require signing. Add-ons that only support other applications like Thunderbird and SeaMonkey are also excluded. Unsigned add-ons can still be installed in Developer Edition, Nightly, and ESR versions of Firefox, after toggling the xpinstall.signatures.required preference in about:config.

Toggling xpinstall.signatures.required to false works in the Firefox 43 general release, but beginning with Firefox 44 will only work in the developer releases listed above.

Note that there is nothing the user can do to get around this. Developers are responsible for getting each add-on signed by Mozilla, failing which the add-on will no longer work with Firefox.

A few of the add-ons I depend on that are affected by this were Ultra Recall, Toodle Do and Linkman Pro.  I expect these to have signed versions available very soon (update: Linkman Pro already has, and Ultra Recall is expecting approval) but I'm afraid many others will effectively disappear forever.

MilesAhead:
I'm afraid many others will effectively disappear forever.
-xtabber (December 16, 2015, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think many of the AddOn authors got fed up when Firefox went into hyperversioning mode.  It's insane to break all that code just to have a higher version number in the About Box.  So now I wait to see what will be the new antithesis to chrome based browsers.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version