ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is Runtime Broker, and Why is it working so pathetically bad?

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
What is Runtime Broker, and Why is it working so pathetically bad?
It's using half the CPU, when I have played maybe a dozen audio files online!

>:(

I have not yet checked if the problem is global, or if it only is when I use my local ISP, (musik.yousee.dk).

I can play the first 10 numbers, with no problems of any kind. Suddenly the sound will start stumbling and the computer will use 100% CPU. When I fight my way to have a look in task manager, Runtime Broker is using at least 48% CPU - and Firefox another 40% and some container 10% Anything left?

Unfortunately you cannot play the full numbers, (http://musik.yousee.dk/servlets/2452328105705Dispatch/24/jspforward?file=.%2Findex.jsp&page=frontpage#/?page=album&albumId=115607586) so there is no easy way to replicate the problem.

Or am I the only one having major problems with (Firefox and) Runtime Broker?  :-\

----------
Modified
SORRY!! I should of course have told that I am using Streaming Audio Recorder, to record the audio in question.

Also, I am on a 32-bits Windows_10_Pro 4GB_RAM Dell laptop.

MilesAhead:
I never heard of it, since I don't use apps.  Well, maybe the weather app for a few seconds a day.  According to search it is a permission management thingy in Task Manager.  At least that's how the top google result phrases it.  It does note that a faulty app can cause it to use way too much in the way of resources.

Is it possible to play the tunes with a different app or even a desktop program?
If you have to use the specific app maybe you can get it to try an older version?
Maybe the old one won't be so buggy.. if the site lets you use it.

TaoPhoenix:
Curt, what OS are you running?

I hear it's at least part of win 8.x , but I'd like to hear from the win 10 gang on this.

hamradio:
Heres a microsoft article about Runtime Broker on windows 10 using too much memory.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/runtime-broker-is-using-too-much-memory

One thing the article says is...

Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Windows Store. It should only use a few megabytes of memory, but in some cases, a faulty app might cause Runtime Broker to use up to a gigabyte of RAM or more.
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
You can actually disable it if you don't use the windows store with no adverse effects.  What you should really do if you're interested is use ProcessMonitor to see what is actually causing it.  It's a broker as it implies, so it's doing this on behalf of another process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version