topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Find only applications, no folders or documents?  (Read 4955 times)

Ciantic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Find only applications, no folders or documents?
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:27 PM »
In pattern scoring I have *.lnk, *.exe and *.msc but Find + Run Robot still finds folders, and sometimes documents.

How can I make it to find only applications? When I start run program, I'm mentally adjusted to run, not find folders or files.

Thanks.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Find only applications, no folders or documents?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:37 AM »
How can I make it to find only applications? When I start run program, I'm mentally adjusted to run, not find folders or files.

hello there,

have you tried unchecking this option?

Ciantic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 04:05 AM »

hello there,

have you tried unchecking this option?

Thanks, I found that option also and unchecked. It's better but Find+Run still finds stuff I don't want: documents and at least stuff with ".url" extension.

I prefer to keep my file searches separate from running applications. It's a shame, Windows start menu used to work for running applications, now it can't do even that properly in Windows 10.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 07:31 AM »
If you want FARR to only ever find files with certain extensions, you can do that by going to the Search Folders tab and editing your search folders so that they only return files with certain extensions.

It does seem like perhaps I should add a single global option that would have this effect thought.. I will consider it.

zircle

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 12:23 AM »
Since Ciantic did not respond that he found an adequate solution, I thought it would be appropriate to go into further depth about what mouser is saying in the event anyone else has a similar issue. Mouser is saying that you can right click on a search folder and add a ".exe" restriction seen below.

exeonly2.pngFind only applications, no folders or documents?

Alternatively, you can in the Search Folders tab uncheck everything but %MYSTARTMENU% and %COMMONSTARTMENU%. MyStartMenu lists shortcuts for applications you have installed for "Just Me" whereas CommonStartMenu lists shortcuts for applications which have been installed "For All Users". FARR would then only search your start menu.

exe-only.pngFind only applications, no folders or documents?

In the event that you also run portable software, you can simply create a new folder for FARR to search in. To do this you would right-click inside the Search Folder's tab and navigate to the desired directory. Then, you would in the "optional file extension restrictions" put ".exe" there.

additionalsoftware.pngFind only applications, no folders or documents?

Additionally, if you wanted to restrict searching to only portable software, you could add an additional keyword(s) in the "Optional Modifer Keywords" and as shown in the image above would use "+portable <program>" to search within the portable file location.