topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Windows 10 OneDrive hijacks PrintScreen hotkey.  (Read 46160 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: Windows 10 OneDrive hijacks PrintScreen hotkey.
« on: December 08, 2015, 01:36 PM »
I noticed for the past month or two that ScreenshotCaptor no longer would work when I pressed PrintScreen. Instead, I'd get a notification that my screenshot was saved to my OneDrive. No matter how I configured ScreenshotCaptor, I couldn't get it to take a screenshot using PrintScreen as a hotkey.

Weird. :huh:

After finally mentioning the problem to mouser today, he quickly found a link with some suggestions that led to a solution. The solution is pretty simple: Right-click the OneDrive icon in your tray, select Settings, click on the "Auto save" tab, and uncheck the "Automatically save screenshots I capture to OneDrive." Click the OK button and then close/restart OneDrive.

DisableOneDriveHijack.pngSOLVED: Windows 10 OneDrive hijacks PrintScreen hotkey.

That last step of shutting down OneDrive is imperative. It's not enough to just disable the setting. OneDrive must be shut down completely and optionally restarted if you want OneDrive to do its OneDrive stuff.

If restarting OneDrive doesn't do it for you, then I have read that a reboot will do the trick.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Windows 10 OneDrive hijacks PrintScreen hotkey.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 03:04 PM »
You don't have to do that.  Just restart SCC after saying no to capture all of my screens to OneDrive when it first asks you, and it registers again.  I was going to post something about it... fuming at the time  >:(.  But once I figured out that restarting SCC worked, I felt stupid, so didn't.  :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing this -- I'll bet there are others who are wondering why PrtScr key stopped working  :up:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 11:59 PM »
It's practically criminal that Windows doesn't/can't provide some sort of central, OS supported management of hotkeys.  Sometimes it's nearly impossible (or actually impossible) to figure out why a key isn't doing what you expect when it has been hijacked by some application.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:57 AM »
It's practically criminal that Windows doesn't/can't provide some sort of central, OS supported management of hotkeys.  Sometimes it's nearly impossible (or actually impossible) to figure out why a key isn't doing what you expect when it has been hijacked by some application.

ActiveHotkeys  by tranglos may help, to find out about the hotkeys.
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=18189.0

Regards,

Anand

clg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PrintScreen (Prnt Scrn) hotkey conflict with OneDrive
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:01 AM »
Hello - I know this is an old topic (saw a relevant thread about the issue from 2015) but it didn't quite solve my problem completely:

What I'd like to have, if possible, is two ** different ** hotkeys/hotkey combos/keyboard shortcuts, one for Screenshot Captor and another for OneDrive. Reason being is that sometimes I need the quick convenience of OneDrive auto-uploading a screenshot to a static (meaning easy to find) folder, other times I need the power and rich configuration options of Screenshot Captor.

As a workaround to take OneDrive out of the picture (in a way that makes sense to me), I suppose I could turn off Autosave in OneDrive, and in Screenshot Captor specify the default save path as \\onedrive\pictures\screenshots. That's not terribly elegant though, so is there a better solution I haven't though of?

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 03:33 AM »
You can set whatever hotkeys you want for Screenshot Captor; I'm not sure about OneDrive.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 07:50 AM »
@clg:
...Reason being is that sometimes I need the quick convenience of OneDrive auto-uploading a screenshot to a static (meaning easy to find) folder, other times I need the power and rich configuration options of Screenshot Captor. ...
Interesting. This requirement is much like mine. I arrived at an approach where I got to some kind of image management nirvana, where:
  • I know where any screenshot captures and duplicates of same will have gone to.
  • The "static folder" is in the CHS database images folder, which holds the image .png files saved.

The approach I have taken took me a while to figure out, but it had been staring me in the face for some time before the penny finally dropped. It has probably already saved me a lot of time and is described here for anyone who might want to try out the same approach:
Re: Modify your screen capture/management tools for optimum efficiency of use.

The description might seem to be a bit complex to follow initially - e.g., (say) if one is not used to systems/process analysis - but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. It is actually quite simple in concept and simple to set up, and, once set up, requires no further work, other than periodically updating the 3 softwares used and housekeeping the image storage folders.

Hope it helps or is of use.

clg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 03:31 PM »
Thanks folks, I looked at both your posts. I don't do a ton of screenshots, so KISS for me. Just reassigned the PrntScr button in SSC. Duh... :-[

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 06:42 PM »
@clg: Well, that was easy!    :D