ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Developer PSA: Support Ending for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1

<< < (3/3)

wraith808:
If 4.5.2 is getting security updates, then since 4.0 "support" is included with it...I'd have to think it would also get updated in the process. Okay sure, Microsoft can tend to be a big bag of dicks...but do you really think they'd push it to only updating half of an existing package?

-Stoic Joker (December 12, 2015, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's just it.  If 4.0 support was just included and it just worked out of the box, I'd agree with you.  But it is only pre-supposed to be working.  They haven't tested everything- that's pretty evident from the post, and pretty self-evident as they can't test every bit of code out there.

Are there any breaking changes in .NET 4.5.2? Why do you include these changes?

There are a very small number of changes in .NET 4.5.2 that are not fully compatible with earlier .NET versions. We include these changes only when absolutely necessary in the interests of security, in order to comply with industry wide standards, or in order to correct a previous incompatibility within .NET. Additionally, there are a small number of changes included in .NET 4.5.2 that will only be enabled if you choose to recompile your application against .NET 4.5.2.

--- End quote ---

They're trying best-effort, and they're trying to minimize the perceived impact...

... but tell that to the boss when you're in the whatever percentage.

Check these two links:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn458358(v=vs.110).aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee461502(v=vs.110).aspx

Now, admittedly, most of this you can get around.  But you have to get around it.  Just letting MS autotarget?  That's a recipe for failure for someone.  And that someone may be you.

Stoic Joker:
hehe Okay, so this isn't so much a directly technical issue as it is a tingling sensation ... I'm good with that. Experience has taught me to always abide by funny feelings, as they're frequently linked to subconscious reasons that haven't quite surfaced yet..

Because Murphy's Law dictates that you'll have an 85% chance of screwing up a 50/50. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version