topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: question about audio  (Read 5453 times)

Andastre

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
question about audio
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:40 PM »
New here,hi  :)

Still looking around and trying things out. Great community. But I do have a question about some shareware audio software
that I have registered quite some time ago.

It is called 'chevolume' and it works great but is a bit buggy sometimes. So I wanted to ask him about fixing these bugs but I
got no answer at all (since many months). You can still register and pay for it,just the owner is unavailable./unreachable.
Don't know if it will be continued...

Anyone know if a similar tool is available somewhere?

;)
Ria

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: question about audio
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:40 PM »
What does the program do?

Andastre

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Forgot,sry. Description is here  chevolume

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Ah yes, there are other apps that do that.
BUT, i believe what you'll find is that Windows 7 (and higher) has this feature built into it.  And as Windows 7 is a pretty unanimous improvement over win xp, upgrading windows may be the cleanest way to go.

Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong about Windows 7 providing this feature built-in.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 04:29 PM »
According to the software author, CheVolume was created especially for Windows 7 and newer. CheVolume 0.4.0.2 is from September. Looking at the program's history, I would say it's still in beta - as an example, only Chrome is supported! - and at such early stage, bugs are mandatory.

"Liberate your audio!"

FAQ: http://www.chevolume.com/Faq.aspx
-CheVolume

^ I have never heard of programs with this set of features, and I wouldn't know why to need them.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:33 PM »
BUT, i believe what you'll find is that Windows 7 (and higher) has this feature built into it.

Nope.

Chevolume not only allows per-application volume control (which Windows 7+ has) but it also allows you to set which applications output to which audio devices (speakers, headset, etc.) all at the same time. With Windows it's all-or-nothing on an output audio device without 3rd party software like this.

That said, you could upgrade to Windows 7+ for the per-application volume control and then use some other software that allows you to output audio to different devices. I tried some software out a year or two ago that did something like this but I can't recall the name of it. I believe Skwire recommended it to me, so he'd probably know.

Andastre

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Was just wondering as I couldn't find something else like that. Well,I use some of the options (allow to set which applications output to which audio devices all at the same time) and except for the bugs it does the job fine. Maybe chrome is officially supported by the author but other browsers do work (except a little buggy sometimes but probably not only related to them).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:12 PM »
I have never heard of programs with this set of features, and I wouldn't know why to need them.

Here's an example: Say you don't have a cell phone or a landline, so you take all your calls on your PC via Skype or other VoIP. But you need to have the headset unplugged so you can hear the incoming ring from your speakers if you're away from your PC. But then if you answer the call, you can't talk through your headset because all the audio is going through your speakers.

Being able to switch from speakers to headset without having to hang up and start a new call is a nice feature.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 06:14 PM »
not updated for 2½ years: http://www.indievolume.com/

IndieVolume is a per-application volume control for Windows XP > Windows 7.

IndieVolume makes Windows programs use separate volume controls independent of other Windows programs.

Bespoke per-application volume, IndieVolume can also make Windows programs shut when GPS speaks, boost too silent sound, propagate sounds to multiple rooms in your apartment and many more.

IndieVolume is not free software. After trying IndieVolume for 14 days for free, you must purchase the $25 license.

IndieVolume 3.5.99.171
    Date: April 1, 2013 Size: 2.75 MB

System Requirements:
    Windows XP SP3 (x32 applications)
    Windows Vista SP2 (x32 applications)
    Windows 7 (x32 applications)
-AlternativeTo
To start on using IndieVolume follow these steps:

Launch IndieVolume, an icon will appear in the system tray area...

Double-click on the IndieVolume icon, or right-click and select Show IndieVolume in the system tray - the main window will appear...
    Find [example] Skype in the list of Active Applications and tick Handled check box
    Click Mute Others check box for Skype and make IndieVolume handle [example] WinAmp
    Switch to Skype and ensure IndieVolume will automatically mute WinAmp on receiving the call
    Right-click on the tray icon, select Exit -- IndieVolume will stop

http://www.indievolume.com/tutorial/index.php

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 12:46 PM »
I have never heard of programs with this set of features, and I wouldn't know why to need them.

Here's an example: Say you don't have a cell phone or a landline, so you take all your calls on your PC via Skype or other VoIP. But you need to have the headset unplugged so you can hear the incoming ring from your speakers if you're away from your PC. But then if you answer the call, you can't talk through your headset because all the audio is going through your speakers.

Being able to switch from speakers to headset without having to hang up and start a new call is a nice feature.

^ thanks for the explanation, now it makes perfect sense.