topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: hotkeys no longer working in version 4.15.2  (Read 15279 times)

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
hotkeys no longer working in version 4.15.2
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:55 AM »
On Windows 7,sp1, using the portable version, my hotkeys for screencapturing no longer work for any of the captures modes (ie shift prtscrn, alt-prtscrn etc.
Using the menus to run the capture works, but no hotkeys.
No notifications of conflicting hotkeys is shown (that I'm aware of)
The only thing unusual in my upgrade process is that for some reason I downloaded the regular installer, ran it, realised that wasn't the version I needed, removed it, downloaded the zip file, extracted and then ran the file from the extracted location.
I have made a change to my preferences in the hope this would re-write my preferences. The prefs are still there as far as action after capture, file location, moving files etc.
Any ideas/debugging I can do?

Also the Help/check for updates says my version is newer than the version on the website (4.15.0)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: hotkeys no longer working in version 4.15.2
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:20 PM »
You are the second person this week who has reported a problem with hotkeys not being saved..
It does sound like maybe the problem is not specifically hotkeys but maybe the changing of settings in general.. Can you investigate a little more and see if you can find some more clues.
And yes, 4.15.2 is the lastest and the update check reports its newer than web version for now.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04 PM »
it's actually the hotkeys not working - the settings are saved, the key presses are just not recognised. However, to test that theory, I set the Capture selected region to Ctrl-Shift-1 and this worked to capture my screen settings.  The standard hotkeys are still saying Shift prtscr, but this does not do anything when I press this combination. Neither do any of the other PtrScr combinations.
Exiting and loading Screenshot Captor did keep my custom hotkey saved though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:13 PM »
OK so it's probably something else stealing hotkeys.
Rebooting would be one thing to try, another would be to look for a sneaky application taking over PrtScr, like Dropbox is known to do.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 08:58 AM »
Well a reboot did not fix the issue. I tried using another keyboard and same result, so it is unlikely to be the keyboard itself. Pressing prtscrn or shift prtscreen is capturing all of my windows to the clipboard as when I paste into wordpad I can see the current monitor layout appearing. So now its time to try and work out what app has grabbed the shortcut. Any useful apps you know of that will show me?
I did try reinstalling Screenshot captor with the full install but it still fails to capture the screen via keystrokes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:40 AM »
This program may help you identify when you find the culprit: Ethervane ActiveHotkeys
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=18189.0

So exit SC, and then exit other apps (running in background/systemtray) while rechecking the global hotkeys after you exit each one.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36 AM »
thanks Mouser.
I used that program to verify that prtscrn by itself is trapped by screenshotcaptor and have managed to get it to show up in screenshotcaptor now ( enabled the show dialog on capture setting to verify this is occurring).
After quitting Screenshot Captor, the active shows N for the shift ptrscreen so it looks like scs is trapping it but not actually processing it

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 11:39 AM »
that is very odd..
are the hotkeys listed in the screenshot captor hotkey dialog?
is it possible that a security application is blocking SC from triggering?
do any of the hotkeys work? (note: you need to test them with the sc options dialog closed).

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Ok - this is weird in that it's now working.
I ran the program again this afternoon and now all my hotkeys are working.
Scratching head.....

The hotkeys were listed in both the Hotkeys Standard and also in the Hotkeys-Custom (see screenshot clip.png).
Earlier today, the only ones not working were all of the ptrscr ones listed in the hotkey standards.
We have forefront here and I'm not aware of it causing any issues with hotkeys - it's been a bizarre couple of days but I'm glad to say it's working now.

Andy

paralleltwin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 08:09 PM »
v4.15.2
hotkeys busted.
win 10 pro 64.
Can't use activehotkeys to check anything since it's 32 bit only.
funnily enough print screen works fine in cbh+s but does crap all in sc.
love to help out if i can to get it resolved... just using the bar at the moment as a work around.
 :( no shift+ps/sc makes me sad

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 06:58 AM »
It *should* work with Win10 64 bit - I put it on my surface yesterday (which doesn't even have a prtscrn button - instead you use Fn space) and it worked.
The activehotkeys was also working for me on my 64bit OS (Win8). Check the program works by setting the checks for the standard keys only (no modifiers) and then press some alpha keys  - they should light up in AHK. Note the prtscn button is displayed as SysReq in this software.

I'm really not sure why the keys stopped working for me for a couple of days and then started working again. Perhaps you have my gremlin?

paralleltwin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 06:29 AM »
Just wanted to post, I have my hotkeys back now, and I *think* for me it had to do with either or both of OneDrive and Dropbox stealing the print screen button key to show me a modal asking me to save my screenshots to their respective locations...

After removing screencaptor and using snag it for a while, the modal dialogues appeared for both OneDrive and Dropbox, and I summarily dismissed both of them.

Just now after enjoying, and then hastily removing snag it (gosh what a slow tool, unbearable), I re-installed, and voila! everything works again. Thank spaghetti.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my case was a windows 10 re-install that triggered it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 07:07 AM »
my guess is dropbox.
thanks for the report! glad it is working now.
if it stops working again, check dropbox options.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 09:33 AM »
I don't have dropbox installed (doesn't work in a corporate domain with folder redirection of appdata) but do have Onedrive (also doesn't work) and did have snagit installed. The only thing I like better about snagit is the ability to add autonumbered stamps to a diagram to show areas that need to be clicked on in a particular order (ie 1...2....3)  Very useful. Currently I draw boxes and arrows between them - this looks better but is slightly more time consuming. (hint hint) ;-)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Autonumbered stamps is an interesting idea.. I could add without too much trouble.

Do remember that there are clipart "STEP #" objects you can drag and drop (just click the Clipart button on toolbar), and of course you can add text to the ends of arrows.

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 11:26 AM »
I hardly ever use the clipart so didn't even realise that was there.
Snagit would be 8 clicks for a 7 point step process - one to select the mouse to be a stamp and then 7 more clicks to add the 7 steps.
The current clipart is Select clipart image 1, drag to location, resize, select image 2, drag to location.....

I use the arrows with Text boxes a ton. It's very helpful to be able to provide documentation on the steps required.

Back to the original problem with  hotkeys, my issue seems to have gone away - no more issues with hotkeys going missing for a while now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Yeah i like the idea of adding a mode where making an arrow auto-added some numbered text (step 1, step 2, step 3), so it would just be a matter dragging startpoint to endpoint, and repeating this process as many times as you want, each time it would add a new arrow with appropriate text.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 02:51 AM »
... adding a mode where making an arrow auto-added some numbered text (step 1, step 2, step 3),
:Thmbsup: +1

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 07:20 AM »
... adding a mode where making an arrow auto-added some numbered text (step 1, step 2, step 3),
:Thmbsup: +2

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Easy enough, this could actually be useful just for people who occasionally want todo multiple arrows in a row without text -- just because i think by default (there is an option to change this on the Drawing Objects tab) you can't normally draw a bunch of arrows without re-clicking the arrow tool each time.

So I'm thinking the new function will be accessible from the object tools menu, and be something like "Draw and label (step 1, step 2, etc.) multiple arrows..", and then present user with a small dialog with text edit defaulting to "Step #" and the user can accept or change that text (e.g. "Stage #"), and possibly change starting # (useful when continuing from prior labeling) and then it would let you draw one arrow after another, auto labeling them with the proper step #, until you select a new tool.

Any thoughts?

jmcturnan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 04:49 PM »
I found the solution to the Dropbox stealing the PrintScr button... the key is to turn it on (because it already was disabled) and then off again for the setting to actually disable itself.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201168529-Please-provide-option-to-disable-screenshot-keyboard-shortcuts

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 04:52 PM »
thanks for sharing that jmcturnan!

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 05:25 AM »
Easy enough, this could actually be useful just for people who occasionally want todo multiple arrows in a row without text -- just because i think by default (there is an option to change this on the Drawing Objects tab) you can't normally draw a bunch of arrows without re-clicking the arrow tool each time.

So I'm thinking the new function will be accessible from the object tools menu, and be something like "Draw and label (step 1, step 2, etc.) multiple arrows..", and then present user with a small dialog with text edit defaulting to "Step #" and the user can accept or change that text (e.g. "Stage #"), and possibly change starting # (useful when continuing from prior labeling) and then it would let you draw one arrow after another, auto labeling them with the proper step #, until you select a new tool.

Any thoughts?
sounds great mouser. I didnt know you could create several arrows in a row. will have to investigate that option too.  An option to do this without the arrows, just numbers would still be useful.

TMerrillH@GMailcom

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 04:54 PM »
I just found Screenshot Captor and installed it on my Windows 10 ver 1511 system. The hotkeys worked fine at the start, but after a restart they no longer work, the prompts in the Capture menu don't include them, and the Preferences won't accept them.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 05:36 PM »
Do you have DropBox installed?