topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: flamory  (Read 6272 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
flamory
« on: November 06, 2015, 03:16 AM »
http://www.flamory.com/

Looks good as per description. Anyone using it ?

Regards,

Anand

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: flamory
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:08 PM »
It looks fairly interesting to me for my needs. Have you tried it? I will probably install and give it a shot...

Edit: This part in the EULA will probably put some people off:
8.   MAINTENANCE
This Software may automatically send error reports to the Company. These reports may include information about your computer and recent actions that lead to error occurrence. They will not contain your data (such as documents, texts and images) or snapshots.

This Software may automatically send usage reports to the Company. These reports may contain information related to usage of the Software, such as aggregated statistics and UI interaction patterns. They will not contain your data (such as documents, texts and images) or snapshots. These reports could be used by the Company to improve the quality of the Software.

- Oshyan

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 02:14 AM »
It looks fairly interesting to me for my needs. Have you tried it?
No. Actually was thinking of making an app in similar line for some time.

Regards,

Anand

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 12:11 PM »
OK, I tried it. I am... not totally impressed. It is definitely an interesting application, with some useful and interesting features. But the interface is slow, clunky, and not very responsive or well thought-out. The data retention and "sharing" (with the developer) policy is not great IMO. The app has a system tray icon *and* a persistent taskbar icon, which seems pretty unnecessary. And the "history" function (automatic capture of your browsing history) while promising, is implemented very poorly (and yes, I know what you're thinking, don't browsers already have history?). I could go into detail but bottom line is I wouldn't recommend it at this time.

I *do* like the idea, and the simple built-in tools for annotating your captures. A similar such tool with a better and more responsive UI, better organizing functionality (such as drag-and-drop to custom folder names, and/or tagging of captures), and no data mining would definitely be appealing to me.

- Oshyan

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 02:56 PM »
A similar such tool with a better and more responsive UI, better organizing functionality (such as drag-and-drop to custom folder names, and/or tagging of captures), and no data mining would definitely be appealing to me.

Surfulater can do most of those (minus the persistent sticky notes).

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Surfulater also appeared to cost about $79US. I like supporting software authors, and I'm prone to buying licenses to neat things that I don't need, but at that level it would need to do something that really makes my life easier or more enjoyable.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 12:56 AM »
Ah, what a pity. I was keenly waiting to see what readers gave as feedback to flamory. "The proof is in the pudding", as they say, so I was preparing to trial it, but from the above it certainly doesn't look too hopeful, and I think at this stage I will not bother to trial it. Mandatory requirements for me include privacy/confidentiality, so what @JavaJones refers to is, for me, a showstopper.

These are some of the better potential alternatives, as I see things so far:
  • Scrapbook ($Free): (as used in the original academic research tool and Firefox extension from xuldev.org, or forks/versions of same) excellent; uses a purpose-built public domain engine to provide a faithful local (client) copy of the web page in a non-proprietary format (so is shareable) and also copies any related files embedded in the webpage (if you specify which file types you want, for all webpages, or dynamically for any given webpage), and can copy nested pages to several levels deep (level captures can also be set dynamically); allows annotation, highlighting and partial copying; allows sorting/filtering of the library. Limitations include: only works for Firefox; a slow folder management pane and a painfully slow indexing interface when you have a large library (as I do) - though it meets most of my requirements otherwise. This is the standard tool I use at present.

• Zotero ($Free): (as a dual-purpose tabbed-page Firefox extension and stand-alone client application) excellent; uses the same public domain engine as Scrapbook to provide a faithful local (client) copy of the web page in a non-proprietary format (so is shareable) and can also copy related files embedded in the webpage. An academic information/research-gathering tool From zotero.org (via George Mason University). I am currently trialing this (have been for a few months) and have so far found it to be very good for capturing web pages (full/partial content) and/or screenshots. I think this might be a tool that I could end up using as standard for (at least) webpage copy, edit and screenshot.

• Wezinc ($Free): a PIM for students and information workers, geared towards providing a client-based repository - enables the user to create mindmaps, text notes, passwords, capture from webpages, screenshots, files, and search for anything from a single source; links very effectively with the Clipboard.  I am currently trialing this (have been for a few months) and have so far found it to be very good, and, from an ergonomic perspective, it has a beautifully-designed GUI. I think this might be a tool that I could end up using as standard for (at least) webpage copy, edit and screenshot, if not as my primary PIM.

• WizNote ($Free): They now seem to have an English translation for large parts of this website (so less need for Google Translate or the S3.Google Translator extension). WizNote is a superb Cloud/client PIM which I have done a mini-review for in the DC Forum (now out-of-date as WizNote is under very active commercial development and improvement). WizNote is a PIM and with the new OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) features, seems to be becoming a "killer app" challenger to MS Office's OneNote and OneDrive approach.  I think this might be a tool that I could end up using as standard for (at least) webpage copy, edit and screenshot, if not as my primary PIM.

• Surfulater v3.0 (US$79.00): - as referred to by @dr_andus, above. Having trialed this, it seems to be a very good client-based PIM application with major strengths relating to web content capture, but for me it's proprietary database format was a very negative point, and it was/is simply just too expensive for what it appears to offer. Furthermore, I wouldn't buy it anyway, as, for some time now, it appears to have arrived at end-of-life, as the developer has for some obscure reason decided to put its development on hold and is apparently focused on superseding it with what seems to be a new replacement - a Cloud-based service called Clibu (refer Clibu V1 released, improved UI and easier to use) - which (though I could be wrong, of course), seems to me to be taking several steps backwards for techno-ideological reasons, or maybe it's to create a different business revenue model. From experience, this is what tends to happen when developers of seriously useful PIMs seem to focus on functionality at the loss of focus on user requirements - e.g., InfoSelect v10.

There are some other, now moribund, software apps for web page content/snapshot capture - tools that could be referred to here - including one (I forget its name) that @40hz said he used and was very good, and this (following), which I stumbled upon a couple of months back (I don't think these two are one and the same, though I could be wrong, of course):
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:00 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor edits to improve clarity. »

nevf

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Clibu, accessible knowledge
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 01:28 PM »
>- a Cloud-based service called Clibu (refer Clibu V1 released, improved UI and easier to use) - which (though I could be wrong, of course), seems to me to be taking several steps backwards for techno-ideological reasons, or maybe it's to create a different business revenue model. From experience, this is what tends to happen when developers of seriously useful PIMs seem to focus on functionality at the loss of focus on user requirements - e.g., InfoSelect v10.

Hi Neville here, author of Surfulater and Clibu. I'm a little intrigued by your comments on "Clibu - several steps backwards" and would appreciate it if you could elaborate. I see the opposite, but may well be somewhat blinkered in my view.
Neville Franks, Clibu a better way to collect, use, manage and share information across all devices.