topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox 42.0 stable is out - only Softpedia shows it though  (Read 10183 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox 42.0 stable is out - only Softpedia shows it though
« on: November 02, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Firefox 42.0 stable is out - only Softpedia shows it though.  I have just updated.  The item in the change log that caught my eye is better password management.

I just brought it up out of the install so no impressions yet other than it runs.  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 42.0 stable is out - only Softpedia shows it though
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 04:43 AM »
It is also available on Firefox's site but I guess they haven't flipped the switch yet.

this is the checksum of the setup file, does it match with the one from Softpedia?
SHA-1: de6150370482b01be11208f9dd17ed4b53663743

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 06:52 AM »
It is also available on Firefox's site but I guess they haven't flipped the switch yet.

this is the checksum of the setup file, does it match with the one from Softpedia?
SHA-1: de6150370482b01be11208f9dd17ed4b53663743

thumbs.png

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Thanks to a tip in ghacks - http://www.ghacks.ne...irefox-42-comes-out/

I see that there's finally a 64-bit version. But it won't be visible on the site - follow the ghacks link to the ftp repository.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Thanks to a tip in ghacks - http://www.ghacks.ne...irefox-42-comes-out/

I see that there's finally a 64-bit version. But it won't be visible on the site - follow the ghacks link to the ftp repository.

The Softpedia download page also has a link to the x64 version for Windows(at least if you are in the Windows desktop section of SP.)  I have gotten away from running x64 FF other than Cyberfox.  The standard Mozilla x64 Windows FF keeps dropping out without warning.  They seem to have a problem getting it right or something.  It is pretty strange the way they keep cycling through chucking it and bringing it back.  Peculiar way to run an airline.  :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 04:45 AM »
I think I'm going to give the x64 version a try - thanks for telling about it :)
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:55 AM »
I think I'm going to give the x64 version a try - thanks for telling about it :)

The x64 nightly builds were pretty good for a time.  That's why I am surprised at the problems.

Edit:  Since I mentioned it my curiosity kicked in.  I just installed and ran the x64 nightly now.  So far it seems fine.  I was able to set it as default browser.  Nothing flaky yet.  :)

Edit2:  Well, nothing flaky other than when you load multiple tabs at once it is slow loading.  There is a hesitation after you make a tab active.  But I have noticed that in the x64 nightlies for some time.  One reason I use the 32 bit instead.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:26 AM by MilesAhead »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Firefox 42.0 stable is out - only Softpedia shows it though.

I found it on BetaNews. And on eMule.

I like the Mute This Tab button.  :-*

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 09:43 AM »
Firefox 42.0 stable is out - only Softpedia shows it though.

I found it on BetaNews. And on eMule.

I like the Mute This Tab button.  :-*

It is also now on Mozilla Firefox main download page:
https://www.mozilla....S/firefox/all/#en-US

but somehow or other Softpedia seems to get wind of a copy before the Mozilla site.  Seems like it has been this way for awhile.  Maybe a softpedia worker also is inside Mozilla team someplace?

Edit: I'll have to try out the button.  :)

I notice "display tab previews in taskbar" does nothing.  Maybe my taskbar settings are blocking it though.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Maybe they just regularly have an eye on the Mozilla release servers.

Which is actually a bad idea, given that releases may contain bugs and be replaced before they are announced.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Maybe they just regularly have an eye on the Mozilla release servers.

Which is actually a bad idea, given that releases may contain bugs and be replaced before they are announced.

Yeah, but I do a checksum and they are always the same.  So it must be a heads up on the annointed stable release package.  I don't remember how long this has gone on.  The rapid change in version numbers makes it difficult to guess.  Version 42 is out but version 13 was probably only a short time ago.  I think it's been going on at least that long.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Upgraded to 42.0 x64 yesterday.

After a full day using it, between two different computers, it seems quite stable. And subjectively, it seems better for memory usage than WaterFox was.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Meanwhile, Firefox 43.0 beta is out. And DownThemAll! 3.0 is not working anymore due to the mandatory add-on signing.

I guess it's time for me to search for a new browser after ten years of Firefox.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Upgraded to 42.0 x64 yesterday.

After a full day using it, between two different computers, it seems quite stable. And subjectively, it seems better for memory usage than WaterFox was.

I gave the x64 Nightly a try.  But it was definitely slower opening multiple pages than the 32 bit x86 42.0.  Also when I tried to open OneDrive I got a blank page with no background color.  Just hanging.  Whereas with the 32 bit FF it came right up.

For some reason Cyberfox has no big issues that I remember.  Maybe it is the optimizing compiler.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Meanwhile, Firefox 43.0 beta is out. And DownThemAll! 3.0 is not working anymore due to the mandatory add-on signing.

I guess it's time for me to search for a new browser after ten years of Firefox.

All this security stuff is getting to be a drag.  Used to be you could photocopy a document such as a birth certificate and mail it or present it when filing for some other government stuff.  Now thay make you buy additional "originals" often at more than $10 a pop, just to stick in a file cabinet.  Like it is all computerized so why not just send a "fetch" RPC call to the other government agency requesting the file be transmitted?  Anything to squeeze another buck out of us.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 04:32 PM »
I think I'm going to give the x64 version a try - thanks for telling about it

info: I've read that Adobe Primetime (to play DRM~CDM) does not yet work with 64-bits.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Upgrade to 42 32 bit is working well.

JoKelly47

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I have not upgraded to this version yet, but will give it a try, thanks for the info.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 01:24 PM »

All this security stuff is getting to be a drag.  Used to be you could photocopy a document such as a birth certificate and mail it or present it when filing for some other government stuff.  Now thay make you buy additional "originals" often at more than $10 a pop, just to stick in a file cabinet.  Like it is all computerized so why not just send a "fetch" RPC call to the other government agency requesting the file be transmitted?  Anything to squeeze another buck out of us.

Drifting a little off topic, I wanna go slightly less vicious and say one of my emerging top new phrases of the year is the difference between malice and chaos.

I like DC because if *I* am the "dumbest one here" y'all only get scarier after that!
:D

So then "regular people" have to feed their families too, but can only absorb so much training, also filtered (for different mixes of cost and ability-of-rep reasons) in layers and they just don't notice things like their printed provider manual is two years out of date. Sometimes they're giving it all, and to quote Cpt Stottlemeyer of Monk, "I look at what he looks at, and I *just don't SEE* the things he sees."

Life is just more complicated than just the snarky "bastards saving money". I had a rep from WellCare NY Health Insurance do her damndest, and it "wasn't her fault" she was working for one of the only two of eight (Borg!) companies that don't offer a crucial mental health plan. It's info she should know, theoretically, but people just have their limits too.

:(