ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

linux mint newbie

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
Turns out the latest release of Puppy Linux will offer to save state info on shutdown.  No CD needed.  Just run UnetBootin in Windows to install the puppy iso to USB stick.

Edit:  Also I found the WiFi connection utility Frisbee to be the easiest way to connect to the college's WiFi network.  Once it showed connected I just tried to browse until it routed me to the "login" page where I could enter an email address.  I tried other Linux distros from USB and the WiFi just hung on me.  Just for general info.  :)

rgdot:
Have used Puppy Linux 6.0.2 in recent times and in 2015 not recognizing/displaying foreign characters (like window titles inside Firefox) is silly, doesn't matter if it supposed to be minimal. I know it can be fixed but when I test or use Linux or other new stuff I am talking about default behaviour. Mint, Fedora (not Gnome desktop though!) are the best two options, minimal or not.

MilesAhead:
Have used Puppy Linux 6.0.2 in recent times and in 2015 not recognizing/displaying foreign characters (like window titles inside Firefox) is silly, doesn't matter if it supposed to be minimal. I know it can be fixed but when I test or use Linux or other new stuff I am talking about default behaviour. Mint, Fedora (not Gnome desktop though!) are the best two options, minimal or not.
-rgdot (November 13, 2015, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

The settings utility that comes up on first boot shows UTF-8 as default.  If this fixes what you refer to or not I don't know.

rgdot:
It doesn't. Everything else - Mint, etc - works fine as is on my system, both as LiveCD and installed. Like I said I am sure there is a way but I want to see how default works when trying things.

MilesAhead:
It doesn't. Everything else - Mint, etc - works fine as is on my system, both as LiveCD and installed. Like I said I am sure there is a way but I want to see how default works when trying things.
-rgdot (November 13, 2015, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am impressed with the quick load.  I put it on a Kensington USB 3.0 plastic stick.  It only writes at 10 MB/s but probably reads fairly quickly.  I didn't have to wait around for the desktop to materialize like I do for Mint.  On a desktop it would probably be ok but on this Lappie Mint is kind of sluggish from a stick.

Edit:  Plus I couldn't figure out without spending a lot of time, how to get the WiFi to go.  Running Mint in a VM on Windows I am already connected but booting Mint from the stick I would have to fumble around and figure it out.  The Puppy popped up stuff it thought would work and some of them did.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version