topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: linux mint newbie  (Read 15545 times)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
linux mint newbie
« on: November 01, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Before I try wading through a mountain of help files, although I don't mind doing that once I get a basic feeling of orientation, I was hoping to get some answers to a few basic questions.
I downloaded the latest linux mint 64 bit iso, burned to dvd, and booted from it.
My hard drive with Windows 7 was accessible as a data drive.
The lower task bar font was microscopic and nonreadable, but I enlarged it nicely.
I got online with Firefox, but TOR Linux 32 & 64 bit gave error mssgs on dnld & extract.
I made a few basic changes, like setting up a sound driver.
I could not set up shortcuts from the HD to linux mint desktop.
Finally I rebooted, and lost all my changes.

How do you set changes permanently to linux with a dvd, or can't you?
Do you still need an antivirus with just linux mint on dvd, or only if you run an accessory HD?
Can a root kit still invade the mobo if you only run linux mint on dvd?

edit: I do have a 500 GB SATA HD I could spare for this.
Would that enable me to save changes to the OS?
Would I need antivirus protection?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:25 AM by bit »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: linux mint newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 05:00 PM »
"How do you set changes permanently to linux with a dvd, or can't you?"
Assuming you used a live CD to play with Linux, then no, you cannot. Or you have to include the adjustments you made into the Linux image file before you burn it. If the changes were minor, you could create a script that makes these changes and run that script after you boot from the installation media.

"Do you still need an antivirus with just linux mint on dvd, or only if you run an accessory HD?"
No OS is completely safe. Viruses do exist on the Linux platform. But with common sense, you won't catch one that quickly. And if you booted from CD and do not have links to the hard disk inside the system you are using to play with Linux, there won't be a virus after you reboot this system.

"Can a root kit still invade the mobo if you only run linux mint on dvd?"
Yes, if the rootkit is designed to do this, then it doesn't matter if you boot from any type of installation media. It will store itself in some hidden nook from the BIOS/UEFI and because of that, it doesn't matter anymore how you boot your computer.

"I do have a 500 GB SATA HD I could spare for this.
Would that enable me to save changes to the OS?"
Preferably disconnect your main hard disk before connecting the spare hard disk. then do a proper install on the spare hard disk. When that is finished, you can make changes to your heart's content. These will be stored on your spare hard disk. With only the spare hard disk connected, you can be sure that you won't mess up the partitions of your main hard disk. After Linux Mint is installed you can hook up the main hard disk again an Linux Mint will recognize the main disk and enable you to access the partitions on the main disk.

"Would I need antivirus protection?"
If you don't surf with common sense, open everything you see and run as root the whole time...then by all means, get anti-virus software. But if you don't, then changes of getting a virus are small as there aren't many Linux viruses around to begin with. And by default Linux is setup to not run as root. The surfing with common sense...that is the weakest part on any operating system. Linux won't protect a stupid user from him-/herself.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:47 PM »
There's a few things you could do for a persistent bootable bersion of Mint. The best alternative is a bootable USB installation.

Look here for details:

http://tuxtweaks.com...persistent-live-usb/

Luck! :Thmbsup:

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 06:38 AM »
Tnx Shades & 40hz.  :Thmbsup:
I see here at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2932 that a new update is due out any time now.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:22 PM »
I see there are different Linux 'flavors' each with its own +'s & -'s.
I am heavily invested in Windows 7, but I see a growing consensus that future Windows releases may not be the way to go.
It looks like a good course for me to follow would be to begin a long-term interest to familiarize myself with Linux, towards the day I must upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 or something even newer as yet unreleased (i.e. Win 11, 12... etc.).
That would be a good time to switch from Windows 7 to a Linux OS.
By then I would have a better idea what 'flavor' to switch to.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:52 PM »
@bit, I like puppy linux and the latest is version 6 tahrpup 32 bit, available as a small .iso download at distrowatch.com. It remembers how you first set it up and can also be added to and then remastered very easily. It loads to RAM and does not need a hard drive. I have one copy of puppy_6 on a flash drive and it is loaded with firefox_42 and lots of add-ons. I use a puppy FatDog64 on DVD-RW that is very fast and convenient. I use DVD-RW or DVD-R copies of KaOS, Ubuntu Studio and NetRunner as well as ArtistX, Uberstudent and Mint but I use Mint on DVD-RW and on flash drive less in the last year. You can also get pre-burned linux disks at sites listed at distrowatch.com and at On-disk and in Linux Pro magazine. Puppy has a very friendly and helpful forum and I think you might be pleased with how well it works and what it can do.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:25 AM »
I see there are different Linux 'flavors' each with its own +'s & -'s.
I am heavily invested in Windows 7, but I see a growing consensus that future Windows releases may not be the way to go.
It looks like a good course for me to follow would be to begin a long-term interest to familiarize myself with Linux, towards the day I must upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 or something even newer as yet unreleased (i.e. Win 11, 12... etc.).
That would be a good time to switch from Windows 7 to a Linux OS.
By then I would have a better idea what 'flavor' to switch to.

My understanding is that with the release of Windows 10 there will be no further "versions" in the old sense. Windows is heading towards a rolling upgrade cycle where the OS just receives regular updates via Microsoft's update service. It's generally thought (but not yet confirmed) that free updates to the OS will be limited to a certain period of time and that a subscription will be eventually required to continue to participate in the ongoing upgrade/update cycle. That mechanism and subscription business model will replace the old method of purchasing completely new editions of Windows to get milestone upgrades. Once that happens there won't be future version numbers. Windows will just be called Windows. So it's a whole new world Microsoft has planned for its Windows users to eventually be migrated into.

If that future works for you, that's great. If it doesn't, then your alternatives are Linux or Apple's OSX - or possibly Android or iOS on a tablet or other mobile device.

I myself have decided to place my bet on Linux for my current and future workstation needs. But only time will tell if I made a wise decision.

Good luck!  :Thmbsup:

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:12 AM »
My understanding is that with the release of Windows 10 there will be no further "versions" in the old sense. Windows is heading towards a rolling upgrade cycle where the OS just receives regular updates via Microsoft's update service.

It's not the prospect of paying for a subscription that scares the living daylights out of me about Windows 10, it's the idea that the user is at the mercy of Microsoft with no way to opt out of whatever they attempt to force down one's throat through regular mandatory updates to the OS.

This article discusses the specific problem of interruptions to workflow caused by Windows update forcing reboots, but the problem goes much deeper in that the security of mission-critical programs can be compromised by unannounced changes to the operating environment.

It's one thing for my phone or tablet to be kept up-to-date that way -- I'm not going to put anything I can't live without on those devices.  Like it or not, at some point I am going to have to bite the bullet and transition to Linux before Windows 7 dies of old age or just won't run on a newer desktop computer.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 09:10 AM »
@sword not to hijack the thread but is there a quick and dirty way to put Puppy on a USB or do I have to boot it and run the install to USB?

Edit:
I have tried Mint and Debian booting off a USB stick on my Laptop but something small and fast running in ram has a lot of appeal.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 11:25 AM »
This article discusses the specific problem of interruptions to workflow caused by Windows update forcing reboots,

For those that skipped reading the article, go back and read it...The guy completely nails it.

Disgruntled Windows users are now downloading shady apps that block certain updates or cribbing batch files from forums to force-block all updates. This will only lead to bigger problems -- which will naturally require updates to fix, but at that point few will be listening.
-The Article

For anyone from Microsoft wandering by: you need to skip the think tank shenanigans, embrace this as absolute fact, and knock the forced update nonsense off now! Destabilizing the shell by auto running the updates and then pretending to wait for a reboot is contemptuous at best. CHANGE NOTHING WITHOUT THE USERS PERMISSION!!! ...Or Linus Torvalds battle cry of 'Never Break Userspace' will become your epitaph.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Turns out the latest release of Puppy Linux will offer to save state info on shutdown.  No CD needed.  Just run UnetBootin in Windows to install the puppy iso to USB stick.

Edit:  Also I found the WiFi connection utility Frisbee to be the easiest way to connect to the college's WiFi network.  Once it showed connected I just tried to browse until it routed me to the "login" page where I could enter an email address.  I tried other Linux distros from USB and the WiFi just hung on me.  Just for general info.  :)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Have used Puppy Linux 6.0.2 in recent times and in 2015 not recognizing/displaying foreign characters (like window titles inside Firefox) is silly, doesn't matter if it supposed to be minimal. I know it can be fixed but when I test or use Linux or other new stuff I am talking about default behaviour. Mint, Fedora (not Gnome desktop though!) are the best two options, minimal or not.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Have used Puppy Linux 6.0.2 in recent times and in 2015 not recognizing/displaying foreign characters (like window titles inside Firefox) is silly, doesn't matter if it supposed to be minimal. I know it can be fixed but when I test or use Linux or other new stuff I am talking about default behaviour. Mint, Fedora (not Gnome desktop though!) are the best two options, minimal or not.

The settings utility that comes up on first boot shows UTF-8 as default.  If this fixes what you refer to or not I don't know.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 01:00 PM »
It doesn't. Everything else - Mint, etc - works fine as is on my system, both as LiveCD and installed. Like I said I am sure there is a way but I want to see how default works when trying things.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 01:24 PM »
It doesn't. Everything else - Mint, etc - works fine as is on my system, both as LiveCD and installed. Like I said I am sure there is a way but I want to see how default works when trying things.

I am impressed with the quick load.  I put it on a Kensington USB 3.0 plastic stick.  It only writes at 10 MB/s but probably reads fairly quickly.  I didn't have to wait around for the desktop to materialize like I do for Mint.  On a desktop it would probably be ok but on this Lappie Mint is kind of sluggish from a stick.

Edit:  Plus I couldn't figure out without spending a lot of time, how to get the WiFi to go.  Running Mint in a VM on Windows I am already connected but booting Mint from the stick I would have to fumble around and figure it out.  The Puppy popped up stuff it thought would work and some of them did.  :)

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Turns out the latest release of Puppy Linux will offer to save state info on shutdown.  No CD needed.  Just run UnetBootin in Windows to install the puppy iso to USB stick.
Sounds like you answered the question. I used Netrunner_14.1 KDE to burn a downloaded copy from Distrowatch to 8GB flash. It could not be easier.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Speaking of Puppy, anyone know hot to get audio?  When I press "configure sound levels" all it get is a window frame with one check box with no label.  Play test sound gives me nothing.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Check distrowatch.com for release info for the new 64 bit Puppy.  I am downloading now.

Edit.  I am on it now.  Same deal.  No audio.  It does seem to boot faster from stick than the 32 bit version.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:48 AM by MilesAhead »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 01:38 PM »
@Miles. Re: no audio. In my puppy taskbar there is an icon of a speaker in orange/yellow at the lower right and it has a red X through it. Mouseover says "volume muted" and this is the default. Clicking on it brings up a vertical bar where you can set the volume.
Puppy FatDog64 is *very fast* and I like the way it handles usb flash drives by unmounting and safely shutting them down.
Re: OP about Mint. For me, Mint_12 worked fine but versions 14 and 17 gave me a lot of trouble, possibly because of my unusual hardware setup.
One alternative to Mint is KaOS that has a basic and very good approach.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 12:34 PM »
@sword thanks for the tip.  I'll check it out.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  That did the trick.   8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:02 PM by MilesAhead »