ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

linux mint newbie

(1/4) > >>

bit:
Before I try wading through a mountain of help files, although I don't mind doing that once I get a basic feeling of orientation, I was hoping to get some answers to a few basic questions.
I downloaded the latest linux mint 64 bit iso, burned to dvd, and booted from it.
My hard drive with Windows 7 was accessible as a data drive.
The lower task bar font was microscopic and nonreadable, but I enlarged it nicely.
I got online with Firefox, but TOR Linux 32 & 64 bit gave error mssgs on dnld & extract.
I made a few basic changes, like setting up a sound driver.
I could not set up shortcuts from the HD to linux mint desktop.
Finally I rebooted, and lost all my changes.

How do you set changes permanently to linux with a dvd, or can't you?
Do you still need an antivirus with just linux mint on dvd, or only if you run an accessory HD?
Can a root kit still invade the mobo if you only run linux mint on dvd?

edit: I do have a 500 GB SATA HD I could spare for this.
Would that enable me to save changes to the OS?
Would I need antivirus protection?

Shades:
"How do you set changes permanently to linux with a dvd, or can't you?"
Assuming you used a live CD to play with Linux, then no, you cannot. Or you have to include the adjustments you made into the Linux image file before you burn it. If the changes were minor, you could create a script that makes these changes and run that script after you boot from the installation media.

"Do you still need an antivirus with just linux mint on dvd, or only if you run an accessory HD?"
No OS is completely safe. Viruses do exist on the Linux platform. But with common sense, you won't catch one that quickly. And if you booted from CD and do not have links to the hard disk inside the system you are using to play with Linux, there won't be a virus after you reboot this system.

"Can a root kit still invade the mobo if you only run linux mint on dvd?"
Yes, if the rootkit is designed to do this, then it doesn't matter if you boot from any type of installation media. It will store itself in some hidden nook from the BIOS/UEFI and because of that, it doesn't matter anymore how you boot your computer.

"I do have a 500 GB SATA HD I could spare for this.
Would that enable me to save changes to the OS?"
Preferably disconnect your main hard disk before connecting the spare hard disk. then do a proper install on the spare hard disk. When that is finished, you can make changes to your heart's content. These will be stored on your spare hard disk. With only the spare hard disk connected, you can be sure that you won't mess up the partitions of your main hard disk. After Linux Mint is installed you can hook up the main hard disk again an Linux Mint will recognize the main disk and enable you to access the partitions on the main disk.

"Would I need antivirus protection?"
If you don't surf with common sense, open everything you see and run as root the whole time...then by all means, get anti-virus software. But if you don't, then changes of getting a virus are small as there aren't many Linux viruses around to begin with. And by default Linux is setup to not run as root. The surfing with common sense...that is the weakest part on any operating system. Linux won't protect a stupid user from him-/herself.

40hz:
There's a few things you could do for a persistent bootable bersion of Mint. The best alternative is a bootable USB installation.

Look here for details:

http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-linux-mint-persistent-live-usb/

Luck! :Thmbsup:

bit:
Tnx Shades & 40hz.  :Thmbsup:
I see here at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2932 that a new update is due out any time now.

bit:
I see there are different Linux 'flavors' each with its own +'s & -'s.
I am heavily invested in Windows 7, but I see a growing consensus that future Windows releases may not be the way to go.
It looks like a good course for me to follow would be to begin a long-term interest to familiarize myself with Linux, towards the day I must upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 or something even newer as yet unreleased (i.e. Win 11, 12... etc.).
That would be a good time to switch from Windows 7 to a Linux OS.
By then I would have a better idea what 'flavor' to switch to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version