topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SpiderOak Unlimited Space  (Read 14200 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SpiderOak Unlimited Space
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 04:49 PM »
They can see what's in your drive?  Yes, many of these 'services' can.  Especially for de-duping.  The big row over that happened a while ago.
And it's something that should be complained about again and again and...

I just assume, even if they tell me they aren't.  And then encrypt what I need to (thanks for fsekrit while we're on that), and don't what I don't care about.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 01:44 AM »
Well, I guess if George Bernard Shaw thinks that acting like an asshole is the best - and only - way to achieve progress...then I guess I betted get on the stick and do my part.

I think I'll strip naked, run down the hall...and shit on the bosses desk..

...Or just maybe not all goals are a good idea. :-\

There's a fine line between being unreasonable, and being an ass. I'm not sure which side of the line you contemplate standing.

And since I wasn't born at a time when Roosevelt (Teddy one) was alive, I have a hard time understanding how uploading 75 TB to a service advertised as "unlimited" is comparable to shitting on someone's desk.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 03:08 AM »
I think it's dangerous to just accept these redefinitions of words like "unlimited" and "free".

When "unlimited" means "arbitrarily limited somewhere that we do not tell you, and that depends on how much money we think we should be making off of you this month and whatever mood the tech guy who happens to look at your account is in", then the users have no way to know what they can do with the space they bought.

This is why I thought SpiderOaks stand on unlimited accounts was sane -- if they sell you 1 TB of space, they do not have to care about how many computers, or what type of files, you use it for. You paid for 1 TB, so you can use 1 TB.

CrashPlan's "unlimited" is limited by the fact that it is a backup service, so the size is limited by how much you can store on your computer.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 07:58 AM »
And since I wasn't born at a time when Roosevelt (Teddy one) was alive, I have a hard time understanding how uploading 75 TB to a service advertised as "unlimited" is comparable to shitting on someone's desk.

It demonstrates a complete lack of respect and consideration for ones fellow man.

I think it's dangerous to just accept these redefinitions of words like "unlimited" and "free".

Yes, but it's hardly unprecedented. The ever popular "Life Time" warranty on car parts - for those that do their own repairs, is actually limited but the legal definition of the lifetime of your car...which is 7 years. So since most people never keep a vehicle that long, it's largely a nonissue ...(which I'm sure the manufacturer is gambling on).. But the still stands for the odd duck holdouts (like me) that keep a vehicle for a very long time.

When "unlimited" means "arbitrarily limited somewhere that we do not tell you...

There's always fine print somewhere, maybe they had it, maybe they don't...I'm not willing to waste hours reading EULA doublespeak to find out.

This is why I thought SpiderOaks stand on unlimited accounts was sane -- if they sell you 1 TB of space, they do not have to care about how many computers, or what type of files, you use it for. You paid for 1 TB, so you can use 1 TB.

That's an interesting alternate direction for the definition, but I like it. And it makes sense from a technical perspective as well.

CrashPlan's "unlimited" is limited by the fact that it is a backup service, so the size is limited by how much you can store on your computer.

This gets closer to what I believe is more in "the spirit" of the offer. How much storage can someone reasonably be assumed to have on their computer? 3TB? 5TB? Or for some of the more adventurous households, maybe even upwards of 10 or 20TB ... But 75+. Nobody in their right mind is just going to stuff that much data up the wire, chuckle, and walk away...especially if it really is that important enough to need backed up somewhere.. There is a limit to how much space one can rationally assume they can lay claim to, before they - in the interest of common decency - pick up the phone and ask someone if X is really going to be an acceptable target.

From an Administrative standpoint, throwing caution to the wind and just stuffing that much data up the wire assuming it will stick is ludicrous at best.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Unlimited plans were not usually defined as totally unlimited - just unlimited per month/year.
So the providers have always had the option of discontinuing their most loss making customers at the end of their contracts - presumably a reasonable notice would be needed.

For a lot of people unlimited really means not having to think about limits or extra costs and so is a good sales pitch for the providers.

I've never had any problem with something being done about people who take advantage by delving into Terms and Conditions and driving through a loophole. And that goes for customers as well as providers.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 10:48 AM »
I've never had any problem with something being done about people who take advantage by delving into Terms and Conditions and driving through a loophole. And that goes for customers as well as providers.

I usually agree with you.  The only time that I don't agree with that sentiment is when the chosen line in the sand is not based on at least high-average use (xfinity, I'm looking at you)