topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sleipnir Browser for Laptop lovers?  (Read 5562 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sleipnir Browser for Laptop lovers?
« on: October 29, 2015, 01:19 PM »
 I noticed Sleipnir Browser today.  What caught my eye was stuff on the home page about the rendering producing easy to read text.  Since blurry text in browsers is a constant issue with my Toshiba Laptop I tried out the portable version.

I did change the fonts to the ones I use in Firefox.  I must say it does look as though I can read smaller fonts in this browser.  The text seems a tad less blurry.

I thought I would post since I see many Laptop users searching for a way to avoid the blurs.

The browser is a chrome variant.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sleipnir Browser for Laptop lovers?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Nice.  just downloaded in on my pcs.  will try on laptop later on.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I tried it, but I'm quite used to using mouse-gestures, and I can't get that working yet, so I'm no convert yet.
It does look great though, that part works alright :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 02:59 PM »
I tried it, but I'm quite used to using mouse-gestures, and I can't get that working yet, so I'm no convert yet.
It does look great though, that part works alright :Thmbsup:

I did like the way text looked.  But I got thrown by the thumbnail tabs.  I guess I could turn them off and install a SpeedDial instead.  In fact I started to set up FastDial.  But I am sick of doing it.  If just pasting the settings would install the dials it would be ok.  But I am sick of navigating and adding.  I have too many browsers floating around and I have SlimJet already set up.  If I saw this first I think I would keep it though.  It has a different look without being too weird.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Nice.  just downloaded in on my pcs.  will try on laptop later on.

If you are into speed dials and find a better one for it than FastDial please let me know.  I may put it on again if I don't have to set everything up manually.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 09:28 AM »
This is frustrating.  It looks like thumbnails as tab titles is hard wired.  Not even mouse over text titles.  So many thumbnails are nearly blank that it is silly so sit there squinting to guess which tab it is.  Unless I can find some secret option it looks like a deal breaker.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I haven't installed it on my laptop yet, but on my desktop it doesn't seem any different than FF or Chrome.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:20 AM »
I haven't installed it on my laptop yet, but on my desktop it doesn't seem any different than FF or Chrome.

If you don't have fuzzy text you probably won't notice anything.  On my Laptop it is a subtle difference but still the fonts are a bit easier to read.  Unfortunately any net gain is more than offset by being forced to decipher Rorschach tests to click the right tab to change to  On my Lappy I have found ComicSans font is easiest to read in most browsers including FF and SlimJet.  With this browser I can read that font easily even if it is a bit smaller that I am using with the others.  If I could kill the thumbnails I would give it a longer trial.

Even though I have a bunch of browsers installed I mostly use FF.  Now and then a site is totally ornery so I have Opera, Cyberfox, FF portable, SlimJet, k-meleon etc..  for trial and error attack.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Maybe this isn't so bad.  The thumbnails show the url in a Tooltip on mouse hover.  I guess I'll give it a go until the weekend at least.

Edit: OK I guess I get the drift now.  Instead of trying to figure out the thumbnail(fine if it is an obvious one) you are supposed to click the FavTab button to the left of the thumbnail rown.  Then you get sort of a speeddial with large pictures.  All I have to figure out is if there is a shift click or something to open in new tab etc..  OK I guess if it is not already open in a tab it is not in the FavTab.  So it just shifts to open tabs.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:40 PM by MilesAhead »