ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak Unlimited Space

<< < (5/7) > >>

eleman:
So advertising a service as "unlimited" is OK; but trying to see if it really is unlimited is not?
-eleman (November 05, 2015, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

They are changing their policy - it was unlimited, now it won't be and they won't advertise it as such (at least that how I read things).

This change is obviously irritating and inconvenient for people who were taking advantage of large amounts of space, but I don't see anything deceptive about it. In fact they're being quite upfront about it. They offered unlimited storage, found they couldn't sustain it and have changed their policy as  result.-mwb1100 (November 05, 2015, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which is precisely what I was driving at, albeit tangentially. The provider couldn't sustain it because of a few bad apples that just wanted to push the issue past the point of reason. 75TB is ridiculous to start with...and their talking about people that were exceeding 75TB...by an implied factor of wow!

This is why we have such an idiotically convoluted legal system, full of bizarrely worded laws, and lawyers that we'd like to see shot. Everybody just wants to play word games looking for loopholes in everything so they can be right about dumb shit ... instead of just trying to be reasonable to start with.

-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2015, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

So you say 75TB is unreasonable. Let's look at this from your point of view: No worries then. The changes don't affect you. They don't offer an "unlimited" plan anymore, but you already state a will not to go for "unlimited" anyway, claiming it would be unreasonable. Why the fuss about "bad apples?" The only ones who would be affected by this change are the "bad apples".

Stoic Joker:
Its a very simple concept. Most people if left to their own devices do just fine. However there are those self appointed extra special people that insist on steaming past the razor edge of ragged reason...just because they can. Once enough of these extra special people congregate on any place or issue the end result is always the same. There is much cracking down and rule making that results in it sucking for everyone.

So if you really want to push with sanctimonious and righteous indignation the sanctity of the all encompassing nature of the word unlimited. Then by god I should perfectly justified in making a backup copy of the entire internet...and just to be sure I get My true, honest, and complete value that I paid for FFS ...So as a steam past a gazillion Petabytes for the umpteenth time like some maniacal Dr. Seuss character... I should be granted cart blanc to make 80,000 copies of said entire god damn internet because I was told I get unlimited storage space damnit!

...Or maybe I could just be reasonable.

eleman:
...Or maybe I could just be reasonable.
-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2015, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. [George Bernard Shaw]

Stoic Joker:
Well, I guess if George Bernard Shaw thinks that acting like an asshole is the best - and only - way to achieve progress...then I guess I betted get on the stick and do my part.

I think I'll strip naked, run down the hall...and shit on the bosses desk..

...Or just maybe not all goals are a good idea. :-\

f0dder:
They can see what's in your drive?  Yes, many of these 'services' can.  Especially for de-duping.  The big row over that happened a while ago.-wraith808 (November 05, 2015, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
And it's something that should be complained about again and again and...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version