ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Article(s) on Googles New Pay Service, controversies, and my experiences

<< < (7/7)

mouser:
this could get interesting.. sounds like ebay is worried that google is going to somehow threaten their business model?

http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m07/i06/s02

eBay is banning sellers from requesting payment through Google Checkout. The online auction giant updated its Safe Payments policy this week to add Google's new payment service, Google Checkout to its list of online payment methods not permitted on eBay.

A spokesperson for Google said it has no restrictions regarding marketplace use. "We want to work with everybody," she said on Wednesday.
--- End quote ---

i wonder if ebay is just trying to get a payoff from google in order to enable it..

app103:
Doesn't ebay own paypal? or paypal own ebay? or something like that?

mouser:
i think you are right.. there is some connection like that.. this would explain why ebay does not want to help a competitor.

Carol Haynes:
Ebay = PayPal so there is probably a bit of an agenda.

Having said that eBay has had a hell of a lot of bad publicity in the UK because stupid people buy expensive items (like cars) and send cheques in the post - then expect eBay to reimbuse them when they find the Ferrari they bought for £600 only exists in their imagination. Can't say I am surprised that eBay (UK) are now insisting that only PayPal is recommended (and then up to a fixed limit) if you want any sort of buyer protection.

I'd guess there is also a lot of similar sentiments in the US and elsewhere.

Now if Google offered protection for purchases on eBay there would be less of an argument!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version