topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Article(s) on Googles New Pay Service, controversies, and my experiences  (Read 18043 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good points on what Paypal does that Google doesn't. I have no idea whether Google is doing shipment tracking, but again I think they should, at least for those merchants that provide such info. Even for those that don't they could make it easy for businesses to setup such systems by providing a simple API and a central info tracking system that would link to the various shipping providers. That would be a big deal for me, at least.

Having dealt with a "possible account issue" with Paypal I suppose I speak from more experience than many about how Paypal may be to deal with on those sorts of things. I had done absolutely nothing wrong and Paypal never told me exactly why they flagged the account. They had full communication from me, the buyer, as well as the seller, throughout the "investigation". Eventually I was able to get my money through but it was a frustrating and longer-than-it-should-be process. That being said it was also frustrating dealing with my bank when they suspected that my debit card had been stolen, lol. So it's probably just the nature of these things. My biggest annoyance with Paypal and my bank alike is they never told me why they flagged the account so I could potentially explain it or avoid the problem in the future. I suppose there is some rationale behind that, something to do with security and fraud prevention no doubt, but from the customer end of things it's pretty frustrating.

Anyway, I don't plan to be using Google's system any time soon. I'm already registered with Paypal and it works acceptably. Personally I just wish banks would cooperate more directly and bank-to-bank transfers could be quicker and easier in general. I'm still amazed that I have to go get a cashier's check and take it to the bank with which the account I wish to deposit in is registered. Shouldn't the banks just be able to talk directly to each other? :P

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
the problem you describe with paypal seems to be of the nature of the other paypal complaints i've heard, which is that if you are unlucky enough to get flagged by them as having an account that they are "concerned" about in some way, it seems they don't handle it well.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have never had any problems with PayPal - except that it is expensive to retrieve money if you haven't got a lot!

Personally I doubt Google will offer order tracking - how would they do that with all third party sellers - unless they do as Yahoo did and actually set up webstores for companies?

Personally I found Yahoo webstores a PITA when it comes to shipping etc. as they charge ridiculous amount (eg. I wanted to buy a CD from www.cirquedusoleil.com and they wanted $29 to ship it to the UK - with no cheaper options ... and that wasn't a quick courier service it was surface mail that took 4-6 weeks).

I think Google will want its pound of flesh too - they aren't setting this up to be altruistic but to make lots of cash and they will make just as much as the market will stand.

The only positive point as far as I can see is that it will hopefully push prices and shipping costs down across the board - but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect Google will do in this area what it has done in others and try to push competitors to the wall. Then there won't be any incentive to have low costs.

I may be a bit paranoid but I can't help thinking the ultimate battle is looming and it will probably be MS and Google in the ring with other companies struggling to compete or pushing up the daisies.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AOL has offered something to it's members only for quite a few years called AOL Mall, where you can shop with various participating merchants that have signed on to their service, as if it was all one big online store.

You can buy from sites like Office Depot and Amazon.com right from the Mall page at the same time and it is all put into one big "AOL shopping cart" and all shipping info, etc is sent to the appropriate site at checkout. AOL handles the transactions and you get a detailed receipt of your purchases emailed to you and it is billed to your credit card or checking account (or even your phone bill if that is your pre-arranged payment method) when they bill you for your AOL account.

The whole Mall site is set up nicely with seasonal shopping articles and sites advertising their specials right on the front page. Like an article on home decorating would include items from a variety of participating merchants...you wouldn't have to wander all over the web to find all the stuff that goes together.

It's fully searchable for specific items and you can sort by price...much in the way Froogle can....great for comparison shopping.

They even have wishlists and the ability to be able to IM another AOL member the Mall page you are looking at so 2 people can shop together. And a gift suggestion feature where you can select "For Her", "For Him", "For Kids", "Under $50", etc.

The merchant list is a bit limited, but the ones they do have are the bigger more well known ones with a good reputation and not the little fly-by-nights that might attempt to rip you off.

I am sure the merchants that participate pay a fee to AOL to be included and AOL probably gets a percentage of all transactions they handle for their merchants.

Now if Google made something like that available and incorporated it into Froogle, that would be very cool.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That sounds pretty darn cool App. Possibly the best thing AOL has ever done. ;) I'm not sure it's "appropriate" for Google to do that, but I think it'd be cool for *someone* to do it, without requiring a membership to say AOL.

As far as how Google would track shipping data, think about it, any site that already tracks that data has it in their system. If Google setup a simple API that merchants could hook into for sharing that data securely, they could centralize that and lots of other stuff. They probably already have a system with aspects of this to make the current functionality work. I'm not suggesting having shipping data for merchants that don't usually provide it, just basically mirroring the shipping info provided by many merchants already, and all in one centralized location. That's the value of it for me. Now Google probably isn't doing this, but it seems like they *could*, and as I said I for one would be very interested in that.

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
this could get interesting.. sounds like ebay is worried that google is going to somehow threaten their business model?

http://auctionbytes..../abn/y06/m07/i06/s02

mycaps Screenshot - 001 , 10_18_AM , Jul 06 2006_thumb.png

eBay is banning sellers from requesting payment through Google Checkout. The online auction giant updated its Safe Payments policy this week to add Google's new payment service, Google Checkout to its list of online payment methods not permitted on eBay.

A spokesperson for Google said it has no restrictions regarding marketplace use. "We want to work with everybody," she said on Wednesday.

i wonder if ebay is just trying to get a payoff from google in order to enable it..

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Doesn't ebay own paypal? or paypal own ebay? or something like that?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i think you are right.. there is some connection like that.. this would explain why ebay does not want to help a competitor.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ebay = PayPal so there is probably a bit of an agenda.

Having said that eBay has had a hell of a lot of bad publicity in the UK because stupid people buy expensive items (like cars) and send cheques in the post - then expect eBay to reimbuse them when they find the Ferrari they bought for £600 only exists in their imagination. Can't say I am surprised that eBay (UK) are now insisting that only PayPal is recommended (and then up to a fixed limit) if you want any sort of buyer protection.

I'd guess there is also a lot of similar sentiments in the US and elsewhere.

Now if Google offered protection for purchases on eBay there would be less of an argument!