ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Article(s) on Googles New Pay Service, controversies, and my experiences

<< < (4/7) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
I've got to agree as well... well most of the time.

I often use Google like the Yellow Pages: if a big company is preferable for a particular job then I may select a paid add (I've always thought that if they've got money to throw into paid advertising in a telephone book and they've been doing it for years then they must be doing their service adequately enough to stay in business).

This may not always be true of Google paid adds, but every now and then I'll check one out to compare.

And as for banners: I don't think I've ever clicked on one. Hmmm, maybe we're all snobs??

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm ... feeling embarassed having just added a banner to my sig  :-\ ... not the same as I don't really care if people click it or not and no one has paid to put it there!

Perry Mowbray:
Actually I think that's a bit different Carol: your "banner" is more of a recommendation than an Ad (maybe that's why I clicked through  ;) )

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - that's how it was intended - I don't wish to affend anyone on DonationCoder.com - I have recommended Xara lots of times before on the forum so I thought I would add it to my sig.

alex3f:
Here is my take on this. I see the Google advertisement program as organically complementing the Google pagerank system. Basically, when searching Google your attention is split approx 80/20 between older content that received high human evaluation and a new content selected automatically for relevance and not yet human-evaluated. In this case, Google gives you a choice between older and more reliable, and newer and less reliable. You can either choose to exploit or to explore. I think this is quite reasonable because human evaluation through placing links and getting high pagerank takes time, advertising allows to buy this time through buying people's attention. In a sense, investors bet on the value of their site to force its faster evaluation by people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version