topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: strong micro usb cable  (Read 4658 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
strong micro usb cable
« on: October 10, 2015, 09:11 AM »
hello!

I tend to break micro usb cables I use to charge my mobile.
They bend and no longer make good connection to charge the phone. (I need to rebend them and hold them in a specific position to charge, etc)

can you find me please a usb cable that won't have that problem?

it should also charge/sync fast (not like cheap alternatives that make the phone charge in 12h)

thanks!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: strong micro usb cable
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:58 AM »
My first stop when looking for hardware recommendations (in Europe) is somewhere like Amazon -- look at number of stars and read reviews for various products. I generally look at the 1/2/3 star reviews, but keep in mind that these days most products are shipped with a certain percentage of duds which usually get a one star review.
Tom

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 01:24 PM »
it should also charge/sync fast (not like cheap alternatives that make the phone charge in 12h)

I thought it was the charger that controlled this, not the cable (except for devices that used entirely proprietary charging cables).

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:51 PM »
And more to the point of the thread - I've gone in a different direction with my USB cable purchases.  I get inexpensive cables that are cheap enough to have many replacements in a drawer ready to go. I probably lose more cables than have them go bad on me.

I get the 'Premium USB' cables from Monoprice.  They aren't the cheapest, but they're inexpensive enough - about $3 for the 6 ft length - to have spares and I like that they're lightweight and flexible (which may be the opposite of what you're looking for). The drawback to Monoprice is they haven't gotten on the bandwagon of offering some sort of free shipping deal.  I've gotten used to free shipping for most of my purchases.

Monoprice cables are supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and I'm in the process of RMAing one right now that has had the cable jacket separate from the micro connector.  I'll try to remember to post how well the RMA process goes.

Update for anyone who cares (13 Oct 2015): Monoprice replied to my RMA request with the information that the cable is out of stock and isn't expected to be back in stock until 25 Dec 2015(!).  They gave the options of getting store credit or waiting.  I opted to just wait even though that seems to be a long time for getting an item like that back in stock.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:23 AM by mwb1100 »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:35 PM »
There is a way to realize this, but it requires you to get a new phone with a micro-usb-c connector, that is far more robust than current micro-usb connectors, and allows the aparatus to really fast-charge. The new Nexus 5X and 6P phones qualify these specs, and there are new Samsung and Huawei devices one their way to the market

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:45 PM »
In my experience short(er) cables don't break that easy. Myself, I haven't managed to break one...ever. But in my environment several kids between 7 and 15 run around with phones and tablets that I need to repair on a regular basis. They manage to break anything and everything.

Cables created by the manufacturer usually have wires with a bigger diameter and enclosed in a metal mesh. Combine that with a short length and the cable should be sturdy enough.

With cheap alternatives you get exactly what you (keep) paying for. Yanking any cable out of its socket shortens its life considerably. And if you do that long enough you will wear out the socket as well.

The big disadvantage of connectors being as tiny as they are nowadays, is that finesse isn't an option but a requirement every time you make and disengage the connection. Finesse only comes when you take the time to concisely make/disengage a connection. Saving money and annoyance only takes a second.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:11 PM »
Monoprice cables are supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and I'm in the process of RMAing one right now that has had the cable jacket separate from the micro connector.  I'll try to remember to post how well the RMA process goes.

Update for anyone who cares (13 Oct 2015): Monoprice replied to my RMA request with the information that the cable is out of stock and isn't expected to be back in stock until 25 Dec 2015(!).  They gave the options of getting store credit or waiting.  I opted to just wait even though that seems to be a long time for getting an item like that back in stock.

Final update: after saying they wouldn't have replacements in until Christmas (at which point they offered store credit as an alternative), I received my warranty replacement today (19 Oct 2015).  I didn't have to send back the broken one, so I give Monoprice's warranty service for this cheap cable an A rating.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 02:10 AM »
I buy Anker Premium 1ft cables and so far I've no problems.  Actually I have one problem, some of the cables 'disappear', maybe they they have teleporting capabilities that Anker don't advertise or could it be my kids... 

I recently bought a 6 pack so I'd have plenty of spares.