topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: One Key Popup for an Office phone directory  (Read 4263 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One Key Popup for an Office phone directory
« on: October 09, 2015, 05:09 PM »
WOW!  I gotta learn Look before I leap..  :tellme:
 I found about a million apps....The key was to ask Google the question phrased in the exactly right way.
So if anyone has a favorite they can recommend, I now have everythign from links to Outlooks People lists that do not require opening Outlook to tiny programs that can remind you when someones birthday is near.  Plus (of course) their phone number :)

Thanks to DC for being a place someone can ask even "dumb" questions and still get polite responses and Help.

Except for anyone offering an opinion on a "Good One", I think everyone and their brother already wrote at least one.   :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Before I start trying to code some poor imitation to work with Notepad or a similar text program,  it occurred to me that surely there is one of these already out there.

A simple text document "Phone Book-like listing I can use for people in the Office (or I can see many good Personal Uses too now that Phone Directories are a thing of the past).  Back in he days of Windows 95 (I think) i used to have a fantastic one that ran as a "TSR:" app  back then but it has long since died as it would not run on X64 at all.  I don't even remember the name but i have missed it mightily!  The program would have to be one that loads in memory as I have to refer to it while doing all kinds of other things.  The Old program used to work like a charm if only i knew the name, Maybe someone picked up the pieces and brought it forward to the Windows 10 world.

Something where I can hit ALT+P or similar and have a simple text listing in alphabet order of names and phone numbers that another ALT+P would close.

In my case I only have to deal with maybe 50 names but each has a Home/Office/Cell/Fax/Ofc Extension# etc and it is tiring to have to look them all up on their email signatures or deal with the MS Office Contact program just to get a phone number every time it is needed.
The "paper sheet" hard-copy version tends to "migrate south". (ie: the Round File Area) or.. maybe migrates to other desks!
I would not complain if there was room for an email address on each person as well.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:39 PM by questorfla, Reason: Found it... or rather "Them" »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: One Key Popup for an Office phone directory
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Well, this sound just like the type of challenge I could use for NANY2016, would that be allright for you, or do you need it, like, 'yesterday'?
Planning would be to start sometime next week and have an alpha-version in a couple of days.

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:28 PM »
Well, this sound just like the type of challenge I could use for NANY2016, would that be allright for you, or do you need it, like, 'yesterday'?
Planning would be to start sometime next week and have an alpha-version in a couple of days.

Go for it ATH.  All the stuff I get from DC is usually better than what I find by scrounging from Google.  The "time-boundary" setting for "past year" >  "/?&tbs=qdr:y" used to help but I lately I find that leaving out things from 2013 is not as helpful as it used to be and I have not found the Google boundary marker for past 2 years or past 3 years yet.
The original was a tiny TSR from Windows XP days, if I can find it somewhere I will send it to you.   :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 04:52 AM »
I've posted the NANY 2016 Pledge here

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 08:07 PM »
There is Powershell: List Outlook Contacts with PowerShell

Code: PowerShell [Select]
  1. $Outlook=NEW-OBJECT –comobject Outlook.Application
  2. $Contacts=$Outlook.session.GetDefaultFolder(10).items
  3. $Contacts | Format-Table FullName,MobileTelephoneNumber,Email1Address

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 02:06 PM »
Guys and gals,

I've had to decide to stop working on this project, and canceling the NANY pledge I've made.

I've sent a PM to questorfla ahead of this post, so he could get the message before returning here.

Sorry about this, for anybody that may have had expectations about it.

Any other takers are welcome, ofcourse.
There are a number of free and non-free solutions available as alternatives, so not all is lost :tellme:

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 03:51 PM »
As I said, ATH, this is mostly my fault for not supplying you the original in a timely manner.  I am sure it  would have helped quite a lot.  It does still work in a DOS windows sort of and having the original coding would have given you a much needed guide.  I promise to take time over Christmas to dig through mu floppy disk collection both  5 1/4 and 3 1/2  :)  I can find it somewhere.  After all, it was a Hot item in Windows 95!