topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A noobee's questions  (Read 5772 times)

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A noobee's questions
« on: June 28, 2006, 04:04 PM »
I've been playing with the latest Screenshot captor beta. Looks  very promising!  a few comments/questions though...

1) Is the text scraper supposed to be working yet?  I can't seem to figure it out.  I've tried on maxthon & IE6 with little success; it seems to only capture the window title...  :(

2) I tried it on a windows error message: again it scraped the dialog title, but not the error message text; It was captured, just not scraped.

3) Does the text box on the bottom of the capured object screen rerpresent the text which has been scraped?  In other words,  does copy text to clipboard do anything more than copy the text in this area?

4) I've tried the capture scroll function, with limited sucess. NOT a program bug; I'm just working with one hand and find it nearly impossible to hit ctrl-shift-click at the same time.  Could there be an alternate way to make your capture choice, after having selected the window object? (like maybe a button or two added to the red box description panel??? - Dont know if thats even possible.. if not, maybe a multruple choice singlecharacter entry? llike 'hit "a" to capture window'; "b" to scroll/capture the window, etc????

5) fom my point of view, the scroll capture is less important than being able to scrape text from window dialogs, error messages, etc.  Reason?: I dont really need a tool to copy/scrape  text from a browser window cut and paste works just fine for that.  For Y"'alls information, if capturing web pages or such is what you need to do there is an excellent program called evernote that does an excellent job of that. It's free and it allows you to capture an entiore page, or selected section with one mouse click.
However whjat I think is reaslly needfed is a way to error messages & dialogs, in text form so they can be included in error reports
without having to rersort to HTML or an attatcment, which many support groups disalow.

Well that's my five cents, for now at least, I'l report back when I have more. Keep up the great work  :Thmbsup:

Best Regards,
Chuck Brotman
Chuck Brotman

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: A noobee's questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 04:33 PM »
hi brotman.

ok first regarding text scraping - keep in mind that sc is not trying to be the best tool at text scraping.  the best tool i know for this is: Kleptomania (http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/).

however, it should be able to grab windows error messages and stuff like that - i suspect you just aren't triggering it in the proper way.  The way to use it is not to select the window, but rather the actual text object (label, memo, etc) inside the window.

so, you triegger a windows object capture, then move the red highlight box around the text in question, and then click the gear icon. you will see one of the entries is "Capture Text to Clipboard" with a preview in the menu of what text will be captured/scraped, so you can confirm it has what you want before you capture.

having said that, the best news for you might be this:
you can actually copy error message text simply by hitting ctrl+C when an error message pops up (at least on win2k+Xp).  surprising but true :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 04:35 PM »
I'm just working with one hand and find it nearly impossible to hit ctrl-shift-click at the same time.  Could there be an alternate way to make your capture choice, after having selected the window object?

indeed there is! the right ctrl key is treated like ctrl+mouseclick so you dont have to use mouse at all.
so normal capture of windows object is right ctrl click.  if you want scrolling window capture, first hold one of the shift keys down, then press RIGHT ctrl key.  no need for mouse.

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:10 PM »
Wow, thats some good information!

I'll check it all out.

Thanks-a-bunch,

Chuck
Chuck Brotman

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 06:03 AM »
the best tool at text scraping.  the best tool i know for this is: Kleptomania

Mouser,

Do you have a second best recommendation for text scraping?  Kleptmomania is $29.95 to register for private use, but it's a steep $49.95 for commercial use.  And I would need this most at work   :mad:

canalini

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Kleptomania is worth the $50 bucks

Andrew
http://www.stardb.org