topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How long does it typically take Google to remove cached URLs that are outdated?  (Read 2929 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We've run into this situation at work, recently, where a site was taken down but various URLs are still cached from Google's crawlers. The company has used the Request Removal tool to submit these links for removal. Anyone had any experience with this and how long it typically takes for removed sites to be re-indexed?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
My experience with google and these kinds of things is that there is no way to know and no way to contact a human to find out, and no way to resolve the problem if it doesn't work.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gotcha, mouser. Well, the tool our IT department used lets you submit URL links that you state are outdated (which is really true in our case, since they're no longer on the website). Supposedly, these submissions alert Google that the site needs to be re-indexed and cached search results that are no longer valid need to be expunged.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I bet that submitting a sitemap file through the normal mechanism would help. I know they pick up our sitemaps and get them into the index *really* fast. I'm less sure about how this affects their cache.