topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tweets > 140 characters?  (Read 5697 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tweets > 140 characters?
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:27 AM »
There is speculation that twitter may soon allow tweets longer than 140 characters.  When contracted for comment, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey s

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tweets > 140 characters?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:45 AM »
s Weston, the theatrical agent.
Oh, why didn't you say so? Come on aboard. Denham's gettin' wild. I hope you've got some good news for him.
-King Kong
thinking about what it must have been like. Why don't you start at the beginning? It's always the easiest. OK, I'll start at the beginning.
-Killing Me Softly

^ sometimes a beginning is better than an end.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:37 PM by Curt »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:51 AM »
There is speculation that twitter may soon allow tweets longer than 140 characters.  When contracted for comment, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey s

You can already do tweets > 140 characters.  You just have to use a separate service.  Which is when I start to question the format... and the disingenuous nature of it all.  After all, when people started shortening URLs, twitter decided to change their stance on it.  When people started tweeting images using other services, twitter rolled that in to have control.  I just hate when companies put limitations in or have deficiencies, others engineer a way around it... then the company swoops in after they see people want it and because they own the platform, they lock the others out.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 12:47 PM »
I have never tried Twitter.  As soon as I heard about the max chars it sounded like a bunch of bumper sticker arguments were inevitable.  Not even sound bites, but sound bits.  Maybe if I had a reason to use it I would change my mind.  I tend to be too skeptical of new things.  Which reminds me, Mouser I do like the new format on here.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 12:59 PM »
I have never tried Twitter.  As soon as I heard about the max chars it sounded like a bunch of bumper sticker arguments were inevitable.  Not even sound bites, but sound bits.  Maybe if I had a reason to use it I would change my mind.  I tend to be too skeptical of new things.  Which reminds me, Mouser I do like the new format on here.  :)

What it is supposed to be for is little bits of information that are not worthy of a standard blog format or article on a site.  Standard articles have a certain format that they use in order to increase surface area- if you want to say that Harrison Ford fell on the set of the new Star Wars movie, if you reported it on CNN.com or EW.com, you'd have a lot of fluff and filler.  In a micro blogging format, you just tweet the relevant headline.  Or you can tweet individual comments that are concise and to the point.

They first bastardized that with links to the full article- so as to redirect traffic to their sites.  Then they started with multiple tweets, or images.  And twitter became this site where people just spewed things, with no real difference from other sites- other than the hypothetical 140 character limit.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:46 PM »
According to what I know, Twitter will soon announce a "product" for more than 140 characters. Yay, another blogging platform like Tumblr!

The nice thing with a 140 character limitation is that you can't misuse it as a chat.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:22 PM »
According to what I know, Twitter will soon announce a "product" for more than 140 characters. Yay, another blogging platform like Tumblr!

The nice thing with a 140 character limitation is that you can't misuse it as a chat.

Really?  You must not have seen several popular feeds.  That's one of the things that frustrates me about twitter.  People all over it ARE using it like chat.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Twitter is not platform to keep up with chats, there is no good flow to following conversations compared to a more regular social platform like facebook. Some of the - in my opinion poor - attempts at making it more geared towards friendships and chats is the 'while you were away' and 'highlights' features they have added in recent times. Twitter's strength is at keeping up with "news" where one 140 character unit tells it's own story. I have always liked it more as an excerpt like RSS feed more than conversations and friends. Making modifications to the 140 character will probably not help it become anything more, but it depends what the more is I suppose.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 01:34 AM »

Heh heh! I see what you did there. :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 01:39 AM »
Oddly enough, he could have gained an extra character  :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 04:51 AM »

Heh heh! I see what you did there. :Thmbsup:

Heh heh.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 04:52 AM »
Oddly enough, he could have gained an extra character  :P

I am lazy.  When Editpad Lite 7 said column 140 I quit.  Typical programmer's "off by one" error.  :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:50 PM »
People all over it ARE using it like chat.

In the "normal" Twitter timeline you don't see mentions to people you don't follow. Of course, the public feed is unfiltered. Feel free to register.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 10:36 PM »
People all over it ARE using it like chat.

In the "normal" Twitter timeline you don't see mentions to people you don't follow. Of course, the public feed is unfiltered. Feel free to register.

I don't know what view you are using, but for all of them there is a link to see the entire conversation.  It's not displayed by default, but when it is, it looks a lot like chat to me.