topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: OfficePoltergeist - prank on your office mates  (Read 6936 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
OfficePoltergeist - prank on your office mates
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:56 PM »

What the heck is OfficePoltergeist?
If you're like me, then your longtime dream has been to take over all the computers in your office and make them play hysterical laughter and/or other crazy noises. Sure, there are all manner of underground "back orifice" type tools out there that can take over a computer, but until now, there wasn't something simple and disposable that you could use in your office without causing headaches further down the road when you have to uninstall some crazy trojan horse.
No... that's too much effort/risk for a stupid prank. Still, the idea of a ghost in the machine has haunted me for some time.
In that spirit, allow me to introduce OfficePoltergeist 1.1, the simplest way to terrorize the people who dwell in the cubes around you.

from freewareworldteam

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OfficePoltergeist - prank on your office mates
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 04:49 PM »
I had a rather computer illiterate colleague in the days when I managed computer systems (technically he was my boss). He had a Mac in his office (in the days when they looked like a box) and I crept in a set all the default sounds to really annoying things and long musical items (like the Looney Toons theme) so that when he clicked a key or moved the mouse all hell broke loose.

He never did work out how to disable the noises (or who had rigged his machine) and had to come begging to me to put things back to normal. Childish, yes, but he was paid a lot more than me and I did all the troubleshooting!

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Hey wait a sec, whats wrong with the looney toons theme... oh I am thinking of Tiny toons...
"We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little looney..."

<giggles>
 :D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:28 PM »
You want to try working when every button on your desktop (and I mean every button - scroll bars, scroll up/down, up/down keys, open menus, close menus, pressing enter, mouse select, mouse drag, minimise, maximise etc) each had its own little (or not so little) theme tune - all of them irritating at the best of times ...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 03:35 AM »
I once came across a reference to the Printergeist, a malevolent spirit that lived in the printer and occasionally had to be placated.  This was in the manual to a $1,200 piece of commercial software!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 10:37 AM »
hahahaahaha

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 10:55 AM »
haha Carol I did the same sort of thing to my boss once. His name was Dennis and I replaced the error message with me saying "Don't touch me there, Dennis!" (remember Mac's cute little round microphone?) so every time he made a mistake working up time sheets it would say that! He found it amusing until the General Manager wanted to use his computer.  :o