topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: clock synch problem  (Read 7235 times)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
clock synch problem
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:46 AM »
On Win 7, my pc clock keeps going out of synch by an hour or two a day.
When I go to double-check and correct it, after I right click on it and choose 'adjust date and time', the first thing I get is a pop-up that says, "CryptoPrevent - A restricted .CPL program has been blocked:
C:\Windows\System32\timedate.cpl
Allow program to run?"
Then I click on 'yes', choose Internet Time tab, and Change Settings, Update Now, and OK, and it is corrected... ...until the next day when it happens all over again.

edit: I think I just answered my own question.
I have CryptoPrevent, created by FoolishIT, which is an anti-CryptoLocker ransomware blocker.
I may have chosen unduly strict protection options, blocking my own Desktop clock. :P
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:31 AM by bit »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: clock synch problem
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:20 AM »
If your clock is off by that much each passing day, you might be replacing the CMOS battery on your motherboard. These are not expensive , very available and easy to replace, even if you don't/won't do computer hardware repair. Because of previous posts in different threads on this forum, I know you have an older system and batteries on motherboards usually last between 3 to 5 years. 

Once you have done that, also check the regional settings to see if your computer is in the correct time-zone. That can also cause unexpected hour jumps. Especially when you are in a time zone that uses one system for DST and the (MS) server that verifies your clock using another DST system. This is always messy around May and October of each year.

For example: the US uses DST and apply this when each celestial equinox occurs. Most of the other countries that use DST, use the end of seasons as the moment to apply DST. There is usually a two/three week difference between those DST events.

Although this doesn't seem like a big deal for most people, it is a major source of headache for programmers that actually need to apply this properly in applications. Kind of a 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't'-deal, while being in a 'between a rock and a hard place'-kinda situation.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Is it exactly an hour, or two, off? Or some random amount of time between an hour and two? Does it drift gradually throughout the day after you fix it? Or is it suddenly way off?

Did you install CryptoPrevent? What "protection level" are you using?

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Is it exactly an hour, or two, off? Or some random amount of time between an hour and two? Does it drift gradually throughout the day after you fix it? Or is it suddenly way off?

Did you install CryptoPrevent? What "protection level" are you using?
No, not 'exactly' one hour off; more like 'random wandering'.
I'm using 'Default' level in CryptoPrevent.
Now, my pc is having trouble reading D: (disk drive) from Desktop, but seems to read it OK on boot.

Plz see my other thread, renamed 'Possible rootkit attack' (formerly 'TOR Vidalia - cannot connect') for further info. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:04 PM by bit »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 06:08 PM »
If your clock is off by that much each passing day, you might be replacing the CMOS battery on your motherboard. These are not expensive , very available and easy to replace, even if you don't/won't do computer hardware repair. Because of previous posts in different threads on this forum, I know you have an older system and batteries on motherboards usually last between 3 to 5 years. 

Once you have done that, also check the regional settings to see if your computer is in the correct time-zone. That can also cause unexpected hour jumps. Especially when you are in a time zone that uses one system for DST and the (MS) server that verifies your clock using another DST system. This is always messy around May and October of each year.

For example: the US uses DST and apply this when each celestial equinox occurs. Most of the other countries that use DST, use the end of seasons as the moment to apply DST. There is usually a two/three week difference between those DST events.

Although this doesn't seem like a big deal for most people, it is a major source of headache for programmers that actually need to apply this properly in applications. Kind of a 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't'-deal, while being in a 'between a rock and a hard place'-kinda situation.
I'll look into replacing the CMOS battery.
Plz see my other thread, renamed 'Possible rootkit attack' (formerly 'TOR Vidalia - cannot connect') for further info. Thank you.