topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: HELP! AMD Catalyst update broke my PC - How best to reinstall Windows 7?  (Read 27593 times)

Murder nova

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: HELP! AMD Catalyst update broke my PC - How best to reinstall Windows 7?
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 12:57 AM »
I don't on my first day be all like a know it all lol.

I have a feeling you didn't follow the proper procedure when installing especially new AMD or ATI drivers.

I'll just say what everyone prolly already knows, download the proper driver exe from amd's driver support page,

Leave it in your download folder for now.

I always wipe all traces of the old catalyst control center, use the driver tool from amd that cleans everything ati from your system32 folder, as an extra measure I open explorer and delete the entire AMD or at least the support folder, then run wise registry cleaner, reboot.

Now you can run the AMD driver exe, hope this help's, never fail's me )).

BTW this doesn't even anwer your question at all does it omg lol sry m8.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:06 AM by Murder nova, Reason: Dumb »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: HELP! AMD Catalyst update broke my PC - How best to reinstall Windows 7?
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 05:28 AM »
I have a feeling you didn't follow the proper procedure when installing especially new AMD or ATI drivers.

I'll just say what everyone prolly already knows, download the proper driver exe from amd's driver support page,

Leave it in your download folder for now.

I always wipe all traces of the old catalyst control center, use the driver tool from amd that cleans everything ati from your system32 folder, as an extra measure I open explorer and delete the entire AMD or at least the support folder, then run wise registry cleaner, reboot.

Now you can run the AMD driver exe, hope this help's, never fail's me )).

Wow, that's a pretty thorough process! Keep in mind I'm not an IT person, just a regular user. I've never touched the registry because I'm too scared of fatally messing things up.

But if this is what it takes for a proper AMD Catalyst driver update, why doesn't AMD automate this and build this into their installer? All they give you is a popup with "click here to update your driver", and then things went downhill from there for me...

Thanks anyway, this is really good to know  :up: