ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is it reasonable to *require* phone nr. when purchasing software?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Apparently it is quite common these days, requesting a phone number...-tomos (September 30, 2015, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just because it is - or is perceived as being - a "common" practice, doesn't make it a good idea. It's quite common for brick-N-mortar clerks to ask for phone/Email even if you're paying cash. And they have an entire litany of bullshit excuses for why they "Need" this information...which they actually don't. Because some time back some idiot marketing scumbag coined the term "Constant Contact" for the purpose of (justifying spam) putting a positive spin on the practice of bugging the shit out of people.
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2015, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Brick and Mortar paying cash- I never give them anything I don't *want* to.  Online using a credit card though... you're trying to ice skate uphill.-wraith808 (September 30, 2015, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah yeah...that's what they want you to think. But the sad reality of what they actually check (e.g. the CCV & zip code) during a typical "verification" is almost laughable. Sure some are getting better - I think/hope/am told... - but the bulk of them get jack squat out of me during a normal transaction ... and I've yet to have a single one fail.

Classic BS Question: What's the best way for us to contact you?
My Answer: I'll let you know that when and if I feel the need to be contacted.

Or the typical appeal to fear: OMFG what if there is an issue with your order??!??
My first answer: what if there's not...
2nd Answer: I'm pretty sure I'll be able to guess that if/when there's no tracking information on the order status.

There is IMO no valid reason for seller in a single instance transaction to have/need/ask for a phone number on the internet ... Unless they happen to be delivering the item in person, and want to call for directions to your house.

MilesAhead:
Unless they happen to be delivering the item in person, and want to call for directions to your house.
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2015, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

.. and when you see what looks like a sink hole, drive right in.  It is not really a hole.  The entrance to our driveway is disguised that way to keep out the insurance salesmen.  :)

wraith808:
Yeah yeah...that's what they want you to think. But the sad reality of what they actually check (e.g. the CCV & zip code) during a typical "verification" is almost laughable. Sure some are getting better - I think/hope/am told... - but the bulk of them get jack squat out of me during a normal transaction ... and I've yet to have a single one fail.
--- End quote ---

That's how I used to look at it.  Then I was trying to buy some electronic widget (don't remember what) with my fake number and address (with the correct zip code).  First is was in verification.  Then it was rejected.  I was thinking that I'd just correct it and it would be fine.  But they'd reported it as fraud, and my card was locked.  And even after I got it unlocked, that processor wouldn't take the card- it had been blacklisted.  Very frustrating- at least, until I realized that this whole sequence of events was my fault.  At that point, I was chagrined.  And got a fake number where I could be contacted- which eventually led to a google voice number.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

That's how I used to look at it.  Then I was trying to buy some electronic widget (don't remember what) with my fake number and address (with the correct zip code).  First is was in verification.  Then it was rejected.  I was thinking that I'd just correct it and it would be fine.  But they'd reported it as fraud, and my card was locked.  And even after I got it unlocked, that processor wouldn't take the card- it had been blacklisted.  Very frustrating- at least, until I realized that this whole sequence of events was my fault.  At that point, I was chagrined.  And got a fake number where I could be contacted- which eventually led to a google voice number.-wraith808 (September 30, 2015, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

So that's one fringe case out of??

Just because one source decided to take a hyper reactive swan dive off the deep end doesn't mean the privacy baby needs to go out with the transaction bathwater. Sure the PCI folks are just dying to find some - any - flimsy assed excuse to put the burden of proof back onto the card holder - or anyone else - so they can gets their pockets lined faster ... But that's just too bad.

Right is right, and bullshit is bullshit. So I say raise hell any time one of these clowns tries to cross the necessary and proper information line. They need to be told no a few times until they start learning boundaries.

wraith808:
Just because one source decided to take a hyper reactive swan dive off the deep end doesn't mean the privacy baby needs to go out with the transaction bathwater. Sure the PCI folks are just dying to find some - any - flimsy assed excuse to put the burden of proof back onto the card holder - or anyone else - so they can gets their pockets lined faster ... But that's just too bad.
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2015, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was the first time I had the issue.  Not the only.  In the other cases, they called me on my google voice, I verified the purchase, and everything was good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version