ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is it reasonable to *require* phone nr. when purchasing software?

(1/6) > >>

tomos:
I was trying to upgrade a piece of software this evening.
The payment processor required my:

* Name
* Full Address
* email
* Phone nr.
For phone number, I gave them a number with my country code and the correct number of zeros after.
It looks like they check the number -- for too many zeros at least ;-)
They refused to process the payment without my phone number.
I canceled the order thinking I could use paypal or some other method -- but it all goes through the same payment processor.

Am I just being stubborn - or is this the norm these days? (or both?)
I dont believe it's the norm here in Germany - and it's a while since I updated anything via one of the bigger payment processors, so I cant even remember if I used give my number before...

(Feel free to make suggestions for poll imporvements.)

Curt:
"both"

For quite a number of years I would refuse to give a phone number, for the very simple reason that I didn't have a phone! As time went bye it became apparent that it was "get a phone, or be left behind". I have chosen the option to give them the number to my landline phone, because it can't receive text messages.. Hmm... I would say some more but Firefox is upgrading to version 41 as I am "trying to" type

Modified via Firefox 41:

But you asked if it is reasonable to require the phone number, and my answer is a loud NO, it's not reasonable!

f0dder:
I would probably go elsewhere, unless we're talking really specialized software with an enterprise pricetag... and then I wouldn't be the one buying, anyway.

wraith808:
I have a throw away google voice number for this.  Many (Most?) Payment processors just require numbers.  If the software publisher required a phone number just for funsies, then I'd go somewhere else.

tomos:
I have a throw away google voice number for this.  Many (Most?) Payment processors just require numbers.-wraith808 (September 22, 2015, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

google voice only works for incoming calls with a US number AFAIK --  will have a look tomorrow.

If the software publisher required a phone number just for funsies, then I'd go somewhere else.
-wraith808 (September 22, 2015, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's just the payment processor (I think), but they are one that I'm not familiar with, and lately what with everyone wanting my location for no good reason, I'm getting a bit touchy about this kind of thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version