topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Browsers, Bookmarks, & synching  (Read 14647 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Browsers, Bookmarks, & synching
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:37 AM »
what with imperfect browsers and so on
I end up using (at the moment and depending on requirements etc.)

Opera
Firefox
Avant (I.E.)

I wondering does this exist, (or could it?!!):

A (portable?) programme that you can save your bookmarks to :read:, say with a universal hotkey, or from the context menu.
Then you dont have to be thinking, now where did i save that.

Or maybe something that can import bookmarks from diff browsers, synch them, and export them or save them in format for import back to browser

I know theres online stuff & I've only tried delicious with FF, but if youre working on a different computer & you dont have the plugin installed its a pain I found.
Maybe I'm just being too impatient :) (or not understanding ...)

What do you people out there use?
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Browsers, Bookmarks, & synching
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:04 AM »
Bookmark buddy does the job for me though I'm not sure how portable it is. You can also keep separate book mark sets which can be useful.

http://www.bookmarkbuddy.net/

also ...

22 June 2006: Bookmark Buddy Reader Edition v3.5.4 Follow linkreleased. This edition allows you to open, decrypt, search and export bookmark lists. It does not require installation or registration: the program files can be copied to any device or folder and run from there. You can therefore run Bookmark Buddy from a USB memory stick, MP3 player or floppy disk. This edition does not allow you to import bookmark collections nor edit bookmark lists.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:05 AM by Carol Haynes »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:14 AM »
A (portable?) programme that you can save your bookmarks to say with a universal hotkey, or from the context menu.
Then you dont have to be thinking, now where did i save that.
-tomos link=topic=4164.msg29398#msg29398

It might be worth asking for that in Coding Snacks.  Presumably hotkey-fired AHK script could just pick out the window of whichever browser you're using, capture the address line, and save it in a file, popping up a message box for your description on the way?

Or maybe something that can import bookmarks from diff browsers, synch them, and export them or save them in format for import back to browser

There're plenty out there, but, many of the free ones (e.g. Columbine) seem to be too old to include Firefox   :(

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Howdy. I can't keep track of all the browsers on use on all the computers I use any more. I have been using an online bookmark service for almost two years now that I can't say enough good things about.

http://www.linkagogo.com/

I have a paid subscription that includes use of https and a weekly email to me with all of my bookmarks attached. One of these days I need to get around to doing a (rave) review for them and putting it up on my site.

I'm just a very satisfied customer. You don't need to, but if you do end up subscribing based on this posting, please mention my email address <[email protected]> to help support my habit.   :-[

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:49 PM »
Not sure whether this what you are looking for, but I use the Syncmarks Firefox extension to auto-synchronize my bookmarks to a back up hard drive. It can also be configured to sync to an online ftp/http server, but I havenĀ“t tried this feature:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/350/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 11:51 PM by elpresi »

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 04:39 PM »
I tried a bunch of online bookmark managers (and disliked most). I found Bookmax http://www.bookmax.net to be more attractive and useful than the others.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 10:51 AM »
hi y'all
thanks for the various tips :)

I've tried:
BookmarkBuddy which was very much what i had in mind, but i found i really had to struggle with the bookmark "management" system. I started getting used to it but found the idea of paying $29 or whatever for it difficult cause of that.

then tried Bookmax but it must have been having a bad day cause it couldnt import my bookmarks in Opera OR in Netscape\FF formats.

so I am just starting with linkagogo, and, considering it always seems to be a major struggle for me to start with new sware\computer stuff, it has been a very painless start-up !

ta agin for the help
tom
Tom

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 10:39 PM »
sorry to hear BookmarkBuddy didn't work out for you.  I have been using it for 6+ years and there are always changes that are supposed to be happening but it has always seemed like an endless wait.  I encourage you though, if version 4.0 ever actually arrives to try it out because part of the whole organizing system will be revamped.

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 11:11 PM »
I use the google browser sync settings plugin for firefox and its the best plugin ive seen in ages, it does the lot inc bookmarks, history, persistent cookies,saved passwords and the last tabs you had open. You need a google account to use it, but with gmail, who doesnt.

http://www.google.co...firefox/browsersync/

Plasma Man

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 10:02 PM »
Note that Syncmarks for Firefox v1.5xx can be found here:
http://www.senchiu.de/ffxext/syncm.html

While we're on this subject I'd always thought that the Bookmark Manager in FFwould benefit from a number of power features such as...

1) Save as text list (links only) which would mean you could load the list (or part of) straight into an offline explorer / download manager like Offline Commander (in the latter case using the "Drop Box"). Obviously a text list makes it very easy to convert URLs to any other bookmark format or to import into a doc / html editor.

2) Strip data such as - last accessed / visted / modified etc for an even cleaner bookmark page.

3) Create a Bookmarks "Swap List" menu where FF could load any number of bookmark pages and you can quickly swap them using a hot key / "Recent Bookmark List" drop down menu / as an extended option for Ctrl + B / as links in the sidebar itself / tabbed pages in the browser itself  (... and so on ...)

Here you could arrange all you bookmark pages into themes and move between them quickly. Smaller lists or groups of folders would appear in the side bar - sanity for people who have to do a lot of reseach!

Andre
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:41 PM by Plasma Man »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 04:39 AM »
While we're on this subject I'd always thought that the Bookmark Manager in FFwould benefit from a number of power features such as
[...]
- sanity for people who have to do a lot of reseach!

Plasma Man,

Shouldn't you be looking at the ScrapBook plug-in for FF?  Or, as alternatives, NetSnippets, Evernote or Surfulater, the first two of these having completely free versions, and all mentioned (frequently) elsewhere on DC, notably the General brainstorming for Note-taking software thread?  I see you've posted there, but it's an awful long thread to work through.

Plasma Man

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 06:25 AM »
Shouldn't you be looking at the ScrapBook plug-in for FF?  Or, as alternatives, NetSnippets, Evernote or Surfulater, the first two of these having completely free versions, and all mentioned (frequently) elsewhere on DC, notably the General brainstorming for Note-taking software thread?  I see you've posted there, but it's an awful long thread to work through.
Yes, a long thread and a lot to think over ...

Thanks for the suggestion for Net Snippets - I'd seen it but not tried it.

But to clarify my point was basically about adding some more functionality to the existing Bookmarks Manager within firefox; in particular the ability to swap quickly between a number of customized bookmark pages -  i.e. manipulating lists of bookmarks. The idea is just an offshoot of the original request ...

The beauty of the bookmark pages in FF (as they are) is that they are very easy to edit in using cut/paste, drag/drop. You can sort through 100s of bookmarks and re-order them into folders, move folders around, insert separators etc in a few minutes. (unlike IE where you are dealing in hundreds of individual link files written to disk)

You can chop a page down as desired to a selected list of URLs and export the page to another folder and later send the page(s) to other FF users. They can be loaded easily into other Gecko based browsers like K-Meleon.

FF also has a nice feature where you can just drag a link from the navigation box straight across to your bookmarks side bar and place it anywhere you wish on the list (which I'm sure most people are aware of).

As I see it, having the ability to simply swap between a number of custom URL lists in FF (in the form of multiple Bookmark pages) would be a real bonus, adding extra goodness to what is already there. Everything stays in FF - no other software required.

A bit OT here but as for web page capture, DL management and archiving I've been using Offline Commander http://www.offline-commander.com/index.shtml for over 4 years now for various research and multimedia projects. It's proved to be the most practical solution I've found. It does the one thing and very well IMO. All your project archives are basically stand alone exe files - all neat and tidy and easy to search.

Andre

Second Shadow

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 05:45 PM »

For syncing bookmarks among several browser in the same PC, I've never found anything better than Bookmark Brigde (http://bookmarkbridg...forge.net/index.html)
Small, simple, efficient yet powerful and .... FREE!!!!
Give it a try.

I'm currently using it to sync between Firefox, Maxthon and Opera.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 06:41 PM »
For syncing bookmarks among several browser in the same PC, I've never found anything better than Bookmark Brigde (http://bookmarkbridg...forge.net/index.html)
Give it a try.
-Second Shadow (August 06, 2006, 05:45 PM)

Yes, I'll give it a try!

thanks for the tip, second shadow, - I had gone back to just saving my bookmarks in Opera (mostly) or not saving any!
So, it sounds like just what i need
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 05:58 AM »
sounds like bookmarkbridge (and some of the other tools mentioned) would be a good candidate for a mini-review (https://www.donation...index.php?board=42.0), anyone care to make one?

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 04:10 PM »

Give it a try.

I'm currently using it to sync between Firefox, Maxthon and Opera.

-Second Shadow (August 06, 2006, 05:45 PM)

Does Bookmarkbridge also support Maxthon 2.x?
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7