ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Slimjet updated to 10.0.3.0

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
Apparently one of the things updated it the broken auto update feature. :)
See link in first post to manually download.

IainB:
Well, I have now downloaded and installed SlimJet v10.0.2.0 into my "C:\UTIL\" directory (not a "C:\Programs..." folder) and set it's Cache to a RAMdisk folder..
It Synced all my Chrome/Chromium extensions - took some time to do that, but nothing exceptional.
Hmm. After playing about with it for a while, I have to say that I like the differences/improvements of SlimJet over Google Chrome Canary and Chromium.

MilesAhead:
Well, I have now downloaded and installed SlimJet v10.0.2.0 into my "C:\UTIL\" directory (not a "C:\Programs..." folder) and set it's Cache to a RAMdisk folder..
It Synced all my Chrome/Chromium extensions - took some time to do that, but nothing exceptional.
Hmm. After playing about with it for a while, I have to say that I like the differences/improvements of SlimJet over Google Chrome Canary and Chromium.
-IainB (May 25, 2016, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am glad you like it.  I don't know why it took me so long to set it as default when FF started down the slippery slope to useless.  :)  It is a pleasure to see the browser window come up only a few seconds after launch.  So many these days take over 30 seconds to display a window frame and even then they may not accept input for another 30.

The ramdisk cache sounds like a good idea.  The browser loads fast enough that there is no need to copy the whole shooting match to the ramdisk.  On system shutdown just dump it instead of bothering to delete.  Out of curiosity which ramdisk are you using?

Edit:  I have been running this for a couple of days using SoftPerfect free Ramdisk.  I discard the contents at shutdown.  Also I set SlimJet to delete the cache on close.  So far all seems smooth.  :)

MilesAhead:
This is really strange.  Yesterday I was experimenting enabling and disabling SlimJet to delete cache files on program close.  Now the setting is gone!  I have been combing the settings for at least an hour.  It just ain't there today.  Talk about weird.

I guess I will just set CCleaner to clear the cache manually.

IainB:
...Now the setting is gone! ...
-MilesAhead (May 26, 2016, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think I've seen that setting. I couldn't find it when I looked just now anyway.

By the way, I am becoming grudgingly impressed with SlimJet:

* (a) Ah bliss! It has absolutely no problems running Gmail and Bazqux - my most used two tabs that I always have running in my browser.
* (b) By contrast, Firefox was regularly brought to its knees in Gmail and Bazqux with "Unresponsive script" warnings - more often than not it was a bazqux script, but even if I hadn't started Bazqux, Gmail would crawl along or halt. Bazqux signs on using the Gmail signon, and that - just signing on to Gmail - seemed to be the common point where the script(s) started hanging.
* (c) The Change Colours extension works beautifully in SlimJet. For example, I can get my green phosphor characters output onto a black background, just as I did with the FF add-on NoSquint (killed off by by FF mandatory signature rules), but with the exception that the icons do not display in SlimJet - which is no real loss as the removal of the pretty icons is a perceptual decluttering of the visual display/content.
* (d) The "Invert web page colour" button in SlimJet looks to have interesting possibilities, but it does not always do what one might expect it to do on some sites. I used to use the FF add-on NoSquint to control overly glary - to my eyes - pages (e.g., as on DC Forum), but have not yet got an equivalent effect with SlimJet. Still experimenting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version