ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Slimjet updated to 10.0.3.0

<< < (2/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
Google Chrome dev 64 bit
-dantheman (May 24, 2016, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I may check it out in the future.  Right now I want to let things stabilize for a bit.  I took a quick look and did not see a portable version.  I just got done with my system backup regimen.  Maybe in a few days when I am due for the next incremental backup I'll take another look.

One encouraging thing is I seem to have the cookies working almost perfectly with SAS not complaining during quick scans.  The "genius" of Windows is you keep tweaking it, so you always have something to pass the time.  But it does get tedious when done too frequently.  :)

rjbull:
Do the current frustrations with Firefox extend to its forks, like SeaMonkey and Pale Moon?

MilesAhead:
Do the current frustrations with Firefox extend to its forks, like SeaMonkey and Pale Moon?
-rjbull (May 24, 2016, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

It has been awhile since I messed with Pale Moon.  I do still have Cyberfox x64 installed and up to date.  It does not display the recurrent problems that plague the 64 bit FF.  Also it seems a bit steadier in its behavior.  But to rival SlimJet load times I think you would need to run FF portable out of a ram disk.  If you open your browser and leave it running then that is not much of an issue.  If you like Firefox I think Cyberfox is definitely worth a try.  It runs most FF AddOns.  It hasn't really torqued me off or I would have uninstalled it long ago.  :)

I keep my FF 32 bit since it is all configured and there are a few sites that do not play well with chrome or already have the cookie I need or whatnot.

IainB:
...Firefox I cannot take anymore.  It opens and hangs for 30 seconds before it will react to any input whatsoever.
-MilesAhead (May 21, 2016, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup. In double-quick time, Mozilla would seem to have managed to pretty much achieve their apparent(?) objective of killing off Firefox (well, that's the only explanation that I have been able to come up with that seems to make any sense of the otherwise inexplicable mess that they have been making of FF, anyway).

As potential alternatives to what used to be a superb browser, I've been using Google Canary (64-bit Beta) for a while now, and Chromium. Both are pretty good, but Chromium seems to have been hobbled somewhat by the removal of Google APIs, or something.
I didn't know anything much about Slimjet until reading this thread, but the browser comparison table on http://www.slimjet.com/ is rather telling - assuming nobody's making unfair comparisons.
I rather liked SJ's "Stop eye irritation with automatic web page color inverting". It'd be worth trying for that alone, in my case.

MilesAhead:
I rather liked SJ's "Stop eye irritation with automatic web page color inverting". It'd be worth trying for that alone, in my case.
-IainB (May 24, 2016, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just tried it out.  I was disappointed.  I was using the FF ColorToggle extension for those cases when the page text is blurry or there was not enough contrast to easily read text off a certain background.  I just tried SJ auto color inversion on the pages that happened to be open.  Out of 4 pages only one had text easy to read.  On the other three pages the text color was too dim.  It seems like a good idea but not a good implementation.  Edit: I did notice a chrome extension called "care your eyes" that looked more versatile though.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version