ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Pale Moon and Firefox - The Honeymoon Period is Over

<< < (5/7) > >>

wraith808:
...Slimjet
-NigelH (September 13, 2015, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just looked at Slimjet and *immediately* un-installed it!

I went looking at "settings" and it had "history" of the last fifteen days of my local machine activity!

Browsers are not supposed to know what your local machine is doing!
>:(

So to me that's almost a cousin to a Trojan Horse! Because if it knows all that, then I would quite easily believe it could be sent somewhere! It could be close to RansomWare if you're not careful!

-TaoPhoenix (September 18, 2015, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it immediately had it, then it retrieved it from your local machine, not what it was personally collecting, no?  So the information is there, and it just accessed it.  So even after you uninstalled, it's still there.

Just food for thought.

TaoPhoenix:
If it immediately had it, then it retrieved it from your local machine, not what it was personally collecting, no?  So the information is there, and it just accessed it.  So even after you uninstalled, it's still there.

Just food for thought.
-wraith808 (September 18, 2015, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was a bit unclear, I meant it didn't delete anything, but now it has a list of stuff which roughly looked to be recently added files. So I have to assume that list of files is floating around out there. Nothing the end of the world, but I can see if it was allowed to stay it would get more and more. So I presume for example it doesn't have today's info. But boring web browsers shouldn't be doing that.

But I can see if someone had a juicy file name, that can drift into bait for ransomware, which we just saw recently in a couple of articles.

JavaJones:
If the Pale Moon changes are things that the Mozilla org doesn't want contributed back to trunk, then fair enough. That's a shame though as if their changes really are "improving the code", they really should be contributed back. But if not, at that point they're really just maintaining their own browser and should no longer rely on Mozilla security fixes. They can watch Firefox latest changes/fixes and do eval of their own code for whether it applies, so the FF fix log still gives them a leg-up on potential improvements to their own code, especially if the FF team fixes a legacy issue. But bottom line the choice they made in how they dev this thing is making their workload what it is. I can't imagine them successfully adding the development and maintenance of their own rendering engine on top of that.

- Oshyan

wraith808:

Just food for thought.
-wraith808 (September 18, 2015, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was a bit unclear, I meant it didn't delete anything, but now it has a list of stuff which roughly looked to be recently added files. So I have to assume that list of files is floating around out there. Nothing the end of the world, but I can see if it was allowed to stay it would get more and more. So I presume for example it doesn't have today's info. But boring web browsers shouldn't be doing that.

But I can see if someone had a juicy file name, that can drift into bait for ransomware, which we just saw recently in a couple of articles.

-TaoPhoenix (September 18, 2015, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't talking about deleting anything. I was talking about the fact that if you installed it, and it immediately had this list, it just culled it from your OS.  It didn't cultivate this list itself.  It was just revealing what was there.

Innuendo:
Can you say more about this means? -TaoPhoenix (September 18, 2015, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tao, you can read a Mozilla blog entry here that talks about WebExtensions, Electrolysis, and the road ahead. They have huge aspirations and say it will make for a better browser. Time will either prove them right or wrong. Not everyone at this point shares their opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version