ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Pale Moon and Firefox - The Honeymoon Period is Over

<< < (4/7) > >>

Innuendo:
I assume this only relates to extensions and not Add-ons, since I hadn't heard about it - and if that's the case, it's a good move.-f0dder (September 16, 2015, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm hoping you're right, but you most certainly can't tell by reading any of Mozilla's announcements or blogs on the subject. Apparently extensions are extensions and add-ons are add-ons, but extensions are add-ons, too & they use the words extensions/add-ons interchangeably.

I'm hoping your line of thinking is correct, but even then, Mozilla has something coming called "Electrolysis" that's going to turn proper add-ons on their ear in the future.

JavaJones:
What you suggest is a way to go for developers of forked versions, although it would reset the code base to zero & they'd have to re-integrate all of their tweaks and changes.
-Innuendo (September 17, 2015, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's what I figured. The question is whether doing that is more work than, er, developing and maintaining their own rendering engine. I suspect it is *less* work, probably by a fair margin. But I am not involved in the project, I don't know what they've done code-wise, so I can't say with any authority. It seems to me though that their fundamental development model needs to be evaluated in light of this ESR expiration issue. The option they provide is useful and appealing for a number of people, so it's clearly worth them continuing to make it available for the long-term if possible. They need a sustainable way to do that, not just for the next 6 months or year or 18 months but for the next 5+ years if possible.

- Oshyan

TaoPhoenix:
...Slimjet
-NigelH (September 13, 2015, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just looked at Slimjet and *immediately* un-installed it!

I went looking at "settings" and it had "history" of the last fifteen days of my local machine activity!

Browsers are not supposed to know what your local machine is doing!
>:(

So to me that's almost a cousin to a Trojan Horse! Because if it knows all that, then I would quite easily believe it could be sent somewhere! It could be close to RansomWare if you're not careful!

TaoPhoenix:
I'm hoping your line of thinking is correct, but even then, Mozilla has something coming called "Electrolysis" that's going to turn proper add-ons on their ear in the future.
-Innuendo (September 17, 2015, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can you say more about this means?

TaoPhoenix:
What you suggest is a way to go for developers of forked versions, although it would reset the code base to zero & they'd have to re-integrate all of their tweaks and changes.
-Innuendo (September 17, 2015, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's what I figured. The question is whether doing that is more work than, er, developing and maintaining their own rendering engine. I suspect it is *less* work, probably by a fair margin. But I am not involved in the project, I don't know what they've done code-wise, so I can't say with any authority. It seems to me though that their fundamental development model needs to be evaluated in light of this ESR expiration issue. The option they provide is useful and appealing for a number of people, so it's clearly worth them continuing to make it available for the long-term if possible. They need a sustainable way to do that, not just for the next 6 months or year or 18 months but for the next 5+ years if possible.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (September 17, 2015, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Take a look at this Release Notes because I just got the latest update from PaleMoon.
http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

They seem/say to try to do a lot more than "just remove the tracking" - they've tried to tighten Firefox's original (bloated?) code to become a better browser. So if that page is only *six months* of fixes, FF24 is what, like three years ago? And goodness knows what *new* junk FF has been adding they will want to go fix and take out.

So I'd say the whole Browserland is getting murky!
:tellme:

(Memo - you'd think software devs would know the differences between Extensions and Add-Ons, so if their blogs are that ambiguous, what does that mean in the whole scheme of things? And what does the intersection of this "Electrolysis vs moving stuff to Chome-like mean?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version