ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Tips

<< < (2/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Are you obligated to use 'HomeGroup' in Windows 10?-Shades (September 11, 2015, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. You can still use Password Protected Sharing (same way same place) in a normal workgroup in 10. I've got several 10 machines in a workgroup with a mixture of other stuff (2k/nt4/7/8/Linux) in my virtual lab network.

wraith808:
Are you obligated to use 'HomeGroup' in Windows 10?-Shades (September 11, 2015, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. You can still use Password Protected Sharing (same way same place) in a normal workgroup in 10. I've got several 10 machines in a workgroup with a mixture of other stuff (2k/nt4/7/8/Linux) in my virtual lab network.
-Stoic Joker (September 11, 2015, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does the non-regedit way join you to a group?

Deozaan:
Here's a tip:

Windows Power User Menu
Press Win+X (get it? Windows 10?) to open the Windows Power User Menu. It gives you quick access to a bunch of features:

You can also right-click the Windows Logo in the corner (you know, the one that opens the Start Menu) to get the Windows Power User Menu.

I think that by default it opens in the corner of the screen as if you right clicked the Windows logo, but I have an option enabled in DisplayFusion which pops up the menu wherever my mouse cursor is when I use the Win+X hotkey. :Thmbsup:

EDIT: Apparently this Power User Menu is also a feature on Windows 8 (or introduced in 8.1?), so I guess my idea of Win+X being a pun for Win 10 isn't accurate.

Deozaan:
Does the non-regedit way join you to a group?-wraith808 (September 11, 2015, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

As you can see in the gif ("Homegroup: Available to join"), you are not automatically joined to a homegroup when you enable sharing.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-Stoic Joker (September 11, 2015, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does the non-regedit way join you to a group?
-wraith808 (September 11, 2015, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Go to the network browser - It'll be empty. The yellow bar comes up at the top asking about enabling networking/sharing/something/something (I forget) ... Say yes ... and you're in a workgroup. That's all I've ever had to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version