topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TSA's master keys leaked, 3D printed  (Read 8723 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
TSA's master keys leaked, 3D printed
« on: September 10, 2015, 11:26 AM »
The TSA is learning a basic lesson of physical security in the age of 3-D printing: If you have sensitive keys—say, a set of master keys that can open locks you’ve asked millions of Americans to use—don’t post pictures of them on the Internet.

A group of lock-picking and security enthusiasts drove that lesson home Wednesday by publishing a set of CAD files to Github that anyone can use to 3-D print a precisely measured set of the TSA’s master keys for its “approved” locks—the ones the agency can open with its own keys during airport inspections. Within hours, at least one 3-D printer owner had already downloaded the files, printed one of the master keys, and published a video proving that it opened his TSA-approved luggage lock.

I don't think there's much of a stronger argument against intentionally putting in backdoors to any form of security--including encryption--than this. Once the master/secret key is out, it's over for everybody!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:12 PM by Deozaan »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TSA's master keys leaked, 3D printed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:37 AM »
The big difference here is that if the bad guys can get into my suitcase, they might steal my socks.

The potential damage to us if and when somebody backdoors our secret data is far more serious.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:19 PM »
I'm currently typing this on my tablet. It's too much work to properly quote the article. I'll edit this later to look nicer.

http://www.wired.com...-keys-leaked-photos/

I don't think there's much of a stronger argument against intentionally putting in backdoors to any form of security, including encryption than this. Once the master/secret key is out, it's over for everybody!

I'm gonna mis-fire my tone a little, but somewhere you (the Govt) can't both whine about "Cybersecurity" and "Let's put in weaknesses!"

Flannery O'Connor goes all "Everything That Rises Must Converge" on you.

So I am starting to disengage in all these stories because actually applying your third day of logic class 103 in college leads to madness. You just have to decide which of eleven squares you step into when you step out of the box, and eight of them lead to insanity. Renny would agree.
 :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 12:23 PM »
The big difference here is that if the bad guys can get into my suitcase, they might steal my socks.

The potential damage to us if and when somebody backdoors our secret data is far more serious.

Unless instead of stealing your socks they put an additional item or two in your suitcase. ;)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:25 PM »

Unless instead of stealing your socks they put an additional item or two in your suitcase. ;)

40hz was being nice. It gets WAY worse!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:57 AM »

Or the $2000 laptop you stored away, your watch and wife's jewelry, that treasured picture you take everywhere...then replace with as much Heroin as they can possibly fit...

I'd say that is far more serious than say....having your e-mail account broken into......;)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 05:30 AM »
Always wondered how long it would take before those stupid locks were compromised.

I just use coloured cable ties, (different flight, different colour), doesn't stop anyone looking in the luggage, (just like normal locks), but at least it does indicate when someone has looked in the luggage since they're not likely to have whatever colour I happen to have chosen at that time to reseal them with.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Always wondered how long it would take before those stupid locks were compromised.

I just use coloured cable ties, (different flight, different colour), doesn't stop anyone looking in the luggage, (just like normal locks), but at least it does indicate when someone has looked in the luggage since they're not likely to have whatever colour I happen to have chosen at that time to reseal them with.

Put those dye packs that banks use in your luggage ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 06:56 AM »
I'm just going to go with Wow! That is mind-blowingly stupid.

It may seem minor (given the tone of the article), but any small hole in a complex system can be leveraged into larger more dangerous territory.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 07:20 AM »
Put those dye packs that banks use in your luggage ;)

Now that would be fun, probably get done for transporting explosives  ;D

Most expensive thing that ever goes in my check-in luggage is my Gerber Multitool, anything electronic or more expensive/essential goes in the carry on backpack.

And to cut the cable ties if necessary:

P9111091.JPGTSA's master keys leaked, 3D printed

An old key with two sharpened edges, stick it in the cable tie loop and twist.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:33 AM by 4wd »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 07:56 AM »
Or the $2000 laptop you stored away,

What?!?  You put your laptop into checked luggage?  Even without this, that's a recipe for disaster...

I'd say that is far more serious than say....having your e-mail account broken into......

From some of the stuff I've seen happen from having e-mail accounts broken into- and the length of time the damage lingers, I'd rather someone break into my luggage personally.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 09:20 AM »

What?!?  You put your laptop into checked luggage?  Even without this, that's a recipe for disaster...

I'd say that is far more serious than say....having your e-mail account broken into......

From some of the stuff I've seen happen from having e-mail accounts broken into- and the length of time the damage lingers, I'd rather someone break into my luggage personally.

You ever lost something of your wife's....that shit goes on for far longer than anything that could happen with my e-mails  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 09:50 AM »

You ever lost something of your wife's....that shit goes on for far longer than anything that could happen with my e-mails  ;D

I'm thinking of that guy's account that got hacked... and he lost everything on every laptop and device.  :tellme: :o :huh:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 11:16 AM »

I'm thinking of that guy's account that got hacked... and he lost everything on every laptop and device.  :tellme: :o :huh:

Yeah... But remembering that you lost all your stuff...has no where near the sting of having the wife reminding you - constantly and forever - that you lost her stuff..

Point goes to Stephen66515

:D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 03:10 PM »

Yeah... But remembering that you lost all your stuff...has no where near the sting of having the wife reminding you - constantly and forever - that you lost her stuff..

Point goes to Stephen66515

:D

That summed up exactly what I was trying (and seemingly failing) to say haha!