ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for White-on-Black or Transparent Menu-Less Text Displayer

<< < (3/13) > >>

MilesAhead:
-- Do you happen to know if the down arrow key can be bound to move the cursor down a line when another program (flight simulator) has the focus?-CodeTRUCKER (September 10, 2015, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so, you're kind of restricted to what hotkeys you can set (and their purpose) in the Options.

You'd probably need a small AHK script to send captured down keys to Stickies as wheel-down when the FS window has focus - someone knowledgeable in AHK (which I'm not :) ) should be able to do it easily.
-4wd (September 10, 2015, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

This should be close enough to edit into what is needed

--- Code: Autohotkey ---#SingleInstance ignore#NoEnvSendMode InputSetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%return; instead of Progman for desktop change to the; class for Flight Simulator (use WinSpy to get it)#IfWinActive ahk_class Progman$Down::; instead of class for Notepad use the class; for Stickies  ControlSend,,{Down},ahk_class Notepadreturn

CodeTRUCKER:
however... what other features did you want?
-wraith808 (September 10, 2015, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the interest.  Here are the specs as best as I can describe...

-- Imagine I have flight sim on my monitor in a "Normal" or "Maximized" window.  If the window is maxed then the background of the new app's display would need to be transparent to not cover up what is behind it; otherwise it would need to be black.

-- Would have to be able to open a text file.

-- The window of the new app would need to be border-less (or very thin) and have no visible menu or title bar at top.

-- It needs to be movable anywhere on the screen.

-- It should be stretchable in width to display an entire line of text.

-- Now, I want to open a text file where only one line is displayed and each line is a checklist item.  The app could be larger vertically, but it would need to be able to shrink to show only one line since each checklist item is only one line.

-- Preferably, a black or transparent background with white text.

-- The app should display the text and be able to perform a "line down" with a CTRL-SHIFT-DOWNARROW trigger or some key combo even when the flight sim window has focus.

-- It does not need to be able to edit the text.

Let me know if you need further clarification and thanks for trying to give it a whirl.   :)

PS - I am a day-sleeper right now.  It may be awhile before I will be available.

Deozaan:
I think that Reference Overlay Tool would be sort of up the alley... but it doesn't show text, it shows images.-wraith808 (September 10, 2015, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I went looking for, but I couldn't remember the name of it and all I could find in my searches of previous NANYs was ImgFloat. :D

app103:
5 screenshots of the same sticky note from Notezilla:

This is a black note with white text, with the transparency set to medium (I have this set as the default for all new notes).

This is what it looks like when I click the note. The toolbar on top stays hidden unless you click. On the toolbar, there is an option to pin the note to always on top. There is also a roll-up option which you might find handy.

This is what it looks like when it is the active window, without the toolbar showing, which I have not figured out how to do this with any measure of consistancy, except through bringing it to the front from the Notes Browser.

This is how it looks as a single line plus the (optional) title.

Same as above, but active.

CodeTRUCKER:
Thank you for the suggestions, but the main need is the capability of using a key combo like CTRL-SHFT-DOWNARROW that will still move the cursor (and therefore, the displayed text) down one line at a time even when another window has focus.  I hope this makes sense?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version