topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: urgent free AVG expired request!  (Read 6761 times)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
urgent free AVG expired request!
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:30 PM »
My free AVG antivirus just gave me this Desktop pop-up window.
It looks like I am being cut off even from the so-called 'free' AVG antivirus protection.
Is AVG still protecting me, or what should I do?
I still have some days left on my paid Norton I can reinstall.
Or is there any other free antivirus I should switch to?
If I'm not protected, I need someone to confirm it asap. Tnx!
AVG expired notice.jpgurgent free AVG expired request!

edit: just found this free AVG for 365 days offer, installed it, and it looks good so far.  :up:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:44 PM by bit »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: urgent free AVG expired request!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Oh, goodness, it's been a few years since I have had AVG installed on a computer, but I'm not sure if those popups are really from AVG. The window title is odd, the Activate Now link is word wrapped, that button at the bottom says "Extend Your"... I think it is popup crapware trying to trick you into clicking things.

FWIW I redid all my A/V after all the myriad of Windows 10 upgrades at my house. I ended up putting Avast back onto my PC, but everyone else gets Bitdefender Free. It has basically no controls, but they shouldn't be doing anything that would require controls. Ymmv.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:28 PM »
you might contact AVG if you don't get a response from here.  Go to the site, find their contact e-mail, and mail them the screenie to make sure it's legit.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 03:55 AM »
bit, the message looks like from 'internet security' option of AVG which is in AVG PRO and can be enabled for 30 days in the free version.

AVG Free does not give any message for expiry. I have been using satisfactorily AVG Free since early days of AVG.

You may try this link http://www.avg.com/i...antivirus-protection to compare and download the free version, which will auto update but not expire. I have now AVG 2015 Free.

Regards,

Anand

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 05:12 AM »
edit: just found this free AVG for 365 days offer, installed it, and it looks good so far.  :up:

@bit - I dont think the people who replied saw your edit - that should also be posted as a separate post (is now :p)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:22 AM »
Oh, goodness, it's been a few years since I have had AVG installed on a computer, but I'm not sure if those popups are really from AVG. The window title is odd, the Activate Now link is word wrapped, that button at the bottom says "Extend Your"... I think it is popup crapware trying to trick you into clicking things.

FWIW I redid all my A/V after all the myriad of Windows 10 upgrades at my house. I ended up putting Avast back onto my PC, but everyone else gets Bitdefender Free. It has basically no controls, but they shouldn't be doing anything that would require controls. Ymmv.

Note to self, I have to whine at my bank for sending me "legit" customer survey and other messages that look like junk. (The main way I know is the rollover links actually go to my bank address.) Same thing here, for example I have never in my life gotten an AVG message ... because I don't have AVG.

Now, if Malware is getting so good it scans to see if you have AVG *then* sends you a custom malware message ... yikes!

But unfortunately a more likely problem scenario is that the dept that "teaches you about anti-phishing" somehow lets slip a few disastrous looking messages!

So yeah, contact them, and maybe even try to get a manager and try to "get it in their feedback" to "report at a meeting" (the phrasing I tend to use).

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 11:48 AM »
bit, the message looks like from 'internet security' option of AVG which is in AVG PRO and can be enabled for 30 days in the free version.

AVG Free does not give any message for expiry. I have been using satisfactorily AVG Free since early days of AVG.

You may try this link http://www.avg.com/i...antivirus-protection to compare and download the free version, which will auto update but not expire. I have now AVG 2015 Free.

Regards,

Anand

^It worked, and so far so good.
I now have AVG free with no expiration date. Tnx 1000x.  :Thmbsup:
Tnx also to everyone who replied, you never know when your info is going to be the key data the other person so desperately needs.   :Thmbsup:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Well, I've told before about my 'adventures' with AVG, and that I ditched it years ago because it was hogging the system to a crawl, even on an i7 860 (quad-cure, with HT) running off of a SSD. A couple of months ago I re-tried AVG on my system, and ditched it for exactly the same reasons.

I fail to understand a) Why AVG can't deliver their services like (most) other A/V packages with a normal resource-usage, and b) Why people are still using (and even buying :o) that system-hog application???
Yes, this is a honest question (I don't expect the a) part to be answered, btw :P).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 01:38 PM »
I've been using AVG and have been satisfied with it.. Here's what I'll say:
  • 1. I'm using AVG as antivirus and firewall. I want a combined system.  I previously used ESET and was very happy with that except for a known bug that was bluescreening me on removal/insertion of external drives, which caused me to switch. Before that I used Outpost and was very happy with that (until some bug drove me to Eset)
  • 2. I haven't noticed it slowing down my system -- if i had then i would drop it.  It's possible of course that it is doing so on occasion but that I am not noticing it or not properly blaming it.
  • 3. As far as being a resource hog, I haven't noticed it being so. Any tips on how to compare it (or web pages comparing it) would be welcome!

As a more general answer I should say that I'm more of a satisfactionizer than an optimizer when it comes to system tools -- once a tool works well enough i tend to stop looking for the best tool..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:45 AM by mouser »

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:29 AM »
I've been using AVG and have been satisfied with it.. Here's what I'll say:
  • 1. I'm using AVG as antivirus and firewall. I want a combined system.  I previously used ESET and was very happy with that except for a known bug that was bluescreening me on removal/insertion of external drives, which caused me to switch.
  • 2. I haven't noticed it slowing down my system -- if i had then i would drop it.  It's possible of course that it is doing so on occasion but that I am not noticing it or not properly blaming it.
  • 3. As far as being a resource hog, I haven't noticed it being so. Any tips on how to compare it (or web pages comparing it) would be welcome!

As a more general answer I should say that I'm more of a satisfactionizer than an optimizer when it comes to system tools -- once a tool works well enough i tend to stop looking for the best tool..

Ditto. Even with AVG Free.

The fun part is, when I give my pen-drive to the photo printing shop, they scan it with anti-virus (name withheld) and then copy the images to print. Back at home when I put the pen-drive in my machine, AVG stops and reports virus and I format it. This is a routine.

Regards,

Anand

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 05:46 AM »
Back at home when I put the pen-drive in my machine, AVG stops and reports virus and I format it. This is a routine.

ha! I suppose if the pen-drive ever came back WITHOUT a virus you'd get suspicious, huh?  ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 09:13 AM »

Yay for Mouser creating words!

I'm a *terrible* "Satisfactionizer" !

(Much to the chagrin of a few coding snack people here!)

It comes from a stunning disparity of skills. With the existing known-coded features of programs, I'm kinda good at getting "A few extra Gigawatts out of these babies" (Scotty, Star Trek TNG, Relics), but when the low level stuff starts to crack, I'm doomed. I noticed about a week ago that something that was churning my disk drive and/or fan suddenly isn't. It's close to the time frame that I did a sloppy hand-block of TaobaoProtect, probably acquired near the time I got the bright idea to install Firefox Chinese Edition. (And that thing! It tries to re-copy itself into like four locations! All I did was crudely chop it with a woodcutter, it could be lurking still, in some zombie state!)

So I am so much of a Satisfactionizer.

"If your system is still alive, abuse it some more, because at this rate, Microsoft deprecates OS'es faster!"

:o   ;D

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Back at home when I put the pen-drive in my machine, AVG stops and reports virus and I format it. This is a routine.

ha! I suppose if the pen-drive ever came back WITHOUT a virus you'd get suspicious, huh?  ;D

You bet, if it happens though I doubt. They are still using XP, you see. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39 AM »
"Satisficer", maybe?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 06:48 PM »

I wish I was more like that. I don't rest until I feel like I have the best tool for the job and even then I keep an eye out going forward just in case something changes and something else becomes better.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 10:30 PM »

Once I find something I like and does what I want and need, I stick with it till it doesn't, which is usually when an OS upgrade happens and the old tool doesn't run well on the new OS. Then I cry, as I search for a replacement that is as close to what I had as I can get. Sometimes the thing I am replacing is some really old piece of software made back in the Win9x days.  (I still have and use Paintshop Pro v7 and on occasion, Macromedia Dreamweaver 4, and just gave up on Windows Live Writer, yesterday)