ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What online services do you pay for?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Curt:
In the past I have paid monthly in donation for an online radio station I quite liked, Radio Paradise: http://www.radioparadise.com/
- Oshyan-JavaJones (September 05, 2015, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like it too. I used to donate them every month. I found Radio Paradise via the radio streaming plugin Octoshape that already 9 years ago gave 192kb MP3 ♥ Today Octoshape is concentrating on video & multicast, and I have a music collection of my own.

I have for several years been paying for being a member of Flickr, but I have cancelled the next auto-payment, because I still don't have a camera...

My Internet Supplier (YouSee.dk) is also my TV broadcaster and my Phone operator (both mobile and landline), and really should  be named as one of those "online services" I give my money - because I give them quite a lot! I can't keep up with how many features they say I have free access to: 100 tv channels with an endless list of streaming programs on demand, including film and series. They also offer several hundred radio stations, and YouSee Musik with many million music tracks. These audio files are now impossible to just download the easy way; I have to stream and record, but in the "old days" I could simply download entire albums in just a couple of clicks. Luckily I managed to download a hundred thousand tracks "in time". I have the right to store them locally as long as YouSee still is my Internet Supplier.

I don't use any of the other features, except that for a while I was also using their online backup.

My speed down/up is 50/5 or 40/15 or 30/25 as I want it - just log in and click to change it again and again.

In Denmark we have agreed to have a national radio & tv station free of adverts and ... well: FREE (not as in free beer, but as in free speech). (Almost) everybody must pay to support it, (almost) no matter if they use it or not. For this reason also (and because everything in Denmark is expensive) my total expense per month for all I have listed (including the two phones) is in the area of $60.

Deozaan:
FWIW, I currently use the free nsupdate.info service, it's open source so I could grab the code and host it on one of my VPNs if I felt the need.  I have a Powershell script that checks my IP every two hours and updates both nsupdate.info and SmartDNS should the IP have changed.
-4wd (September 05, 2015, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your post prompted me to look into nsupdate.info so I did and I couldn't figure out how to use it.

My router is configured to automatically connect to my Dyn account and update my IP as needed. I don't have to worry about it, and my PC doesn't even have to be running for my IP to update. :Thmbsup:

dr_andus:
I only pay for:

* WorkFlowy Pro - hierarchical todo lists, note-taking, outlining
* Mozy - file backup
I would also pay for Gingko if I didn't already have a lifetime license. And I'm contemplating moving all my files to Dropbox Pro, to make working across multiple devices and locations easier.

I might have to pay for Google Drive one day, as I like to use it with my Chromebook, but I'm only using 4% of my 115GB allowance (I think I got 100GB for 2 years free when I bought the Cbk), and I'll be just all too happy to buy a nice and shiny new Chromebook and renew that deal when it expires.

But otherwise there is a limit as to how many subscriptions I'm willing to have. That's the problem with the subscription-based model. It's an ongoing expenditure, so that makes me not to want to shop. With the traditional one-off payment model, I was happy to try and buy new software.

wraith808:
But otherwise there is a limit as to how many subscriptions I'm willing to have. That's the problem with the subscription-based model. It's an ongoing expenditure, so that makes me not to want to shop. With the traditional one-off payment model, I was happy to try and buy new software.
-dr_andus (September 10, 2015, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I look at it this way.  If it were software, then your argument would hold water with me.  For subscriptions, you pay less, and can cancel at any time if you decide not to use it.

How did you get a lifetime sub to ginkgo?

dr_andus:
How did you get a lifetime sub to ginkgo?
-wraith808 (September 10, 2015, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was a one-off promotion for the first 500 users: http://www.outlinersoftware.com/messages/viewm/19196

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version