ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What online services do you pay for?

<< < (2/7) > >>

4wd:

* iDrive (Backup)
* VPS (Currently 5 of them but reducing to 2)
* VPN.sh (VPN)
* SmartDNS (Get around geo-locked entertainment sites plus they also have VPN)
* NameCheap (Domain names)
Dyn
I also pay for Dyn.com's Dynamic DNS service (hereafter referred to DynDNS), so I can easily get remote access to my IP for various purposes. It's now $40/year, but I don't think it cost that much when I signed up for it, or even the last time I paid. I may switch to some other service if the price continues to rise like this. That said, I split the cost with someone else, since it allows me up to 30 domains and I only use one for myself. So if anyone else wants in on the service, maybe we could join up on the costs. :)-Deozaan (September 05, 2015, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, I currently use the free nsupdate.info service, it's open source so I could grab the code and host it on one of my VPSs if I felt the need.  I have a Powershell script that checks my IP every two hours and updates both nsupdate.info and SmartDNS should the IP have changed.

TaoPhoenix:

Chessbase's Playchess.

I'm a solid player, enough to make park players at least use both eyes open, but no prodigy. So I never felt it was fair to stick my parents with $40/hr lessons because that becomes $40K scary quick! (40K belongs in Warhammer, not in amounts parents should have to pay!)

So I learned from books. And Books are Good.

But finally enough years have gone by, there are a few gaps in the aging material. Some texts hold up better than others.

But in the last couple of years, a few of the services (ICC aka Internet Chess Club does too, I just landed on PlayChess because the ChessBase ecosystem is just more mainstream), contract with lower tier grandmasters who provide free commentary for yearly-paid members. And ... *You get to write in your questions* ... so it's like a group lesson for *four hours* for free. And you can get some forty of them per year! (Daily, on the big events, that tend to go some eight rounds in total one per day.)

wraith808:
Depends on what you call services, but I'll list all of them :)

- Dropbox
- Cubby
- Office 365
- Pinboard
- Xmarks/Lastpass
- Netflix
- Amazon Prime
- Hulu Plus
- Evernote
- Draft
- Gingkoapp
- Stackedit
- Obsidian Portal
- City of Brass
- Koding
- Photoshop/Lightroom/InDesign

+ various things on Patreon and Gumroad

I was formerly very selective about what I'd support.  Then things started disappearing.  Good services that no one was paying for.  And I decided if I liked it, I'd be one of the supporters to try to keep them in business.

JavaJones:
I was formerly very selective about what I'd support.  Then things started disappearing.  Good services that no one was paying for.  And I decided if I liked it, I'd be one of the supporters to try to keep them in business.
-wraith808 (September 05, 2015, 09:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That, good sir, is a very good philosophy.

- Oshyan

TaoPhoenix:

I keep debating about adding Mind Mapping software to my mix, but it keeps resolving into making "junk nodes" in my tree notes program followed by "file this legit when you have both the time and energy".

Surprisingly few enough things have *multi* sources of inspiration that can't be handled by a fast and dirty "see also" tag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version