ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Official CMS Migration Progress Thread - September 2017

<< < (3/35) > >>

JavaJones:
Cool guys. Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor soon.

As far as the software listings go, the nice thing about a CMS is it's something that could be added fairly easily later when time/energy better allows for proper testing or even *coding* of options. I trust that the current approach is best for now. :)

- Oshyan

mouser:
I've been convinced of the value of having new content ready when we unveil the new cms version of the website, so YES we definitely want to figure out new kinds of CONTINUING content we can make a home for on the new dc website -- perhaps regular tech columns or blogs, and dc members willing to write such columns/blogs, etc.  Reviews, etc.

The only thing I don't want to happen now is to get distracted from migrating the old pages, which requires a bit of concentration.  Once we have the new pages moved over, but before we go live, we will make a concerted effort to line up some new content and ongoing content hopefully written by fellow dc members.  So if you have ideas, by all means please continue to think about them and plan them on your own until we are ready!

KynloStephen66515:
Hey guys,

Just thought I would post a quick update on what is happening behind the scenes!

So...firstly, there are several new features for each page on the CMS, these will be revealed/discussed i another thread when I get a free moment - Without going into details now, they keep the pages up-to-date and more interesting to visit, especially if you have interests in specific parts of the website </vagueness>  :D

On from this, I have just imported a nightmarish amount of links into the Archive - These include (but are not limited to):

• Old Contests that everybody has forgotten about
• Reviews from years ago that pretty much hold no relevance anymore
• Pages I doubt anybody even knew existed in the first place

These equate to around 200 links from the current website (I highly doubt any of them are referenced anywhere on the entire website, but I don't really want to search every single one to see if they are linked....so they are coming with us in "link form" just so nothing breaks)

----

Further to this, Mousers software pages have been a headache to do, mainly because of the volume of information that has to be brought over...luckily mouser came up with an awesome way for us to manage certain aspects of these pages (Download Links, and such) that unifies every single software page, and makes things a whole lot easier to locate!

----

Discussions are in the works for other features on the new website when it is released, and I know a lot of you will be really happy to see quite a few of these bigger changes when they are implemented.

On top of all this, I would like to emphasise mousers note on having new content ready for the new website when we release.

To give you an idea of what that content could be, take a look at the list below (these are simply examples and we will accept almost anything!):

• Regularly updated blogs
  -  This will be a regular blog page for YOU on the website.  You will be responsible for updating this blog via DC at your own leisure
• Columns
  -  These could be columns about pretty much anything you feel like writing about
• Full Reviews/Mini-Reviews
  -  Same process as right now, just a better process for highlighting these posts.

Every bit of new content we can muster would be fantastic, and they will all be added prior to official release but AFTER we have finished everything else.

JavaJones:
Further to this, Mousers software pages have been a headache to do, mainly because of the volume of information that has to be brought over...luckily mouser came up with an awesome way for us to manage certain aspects of these pages (Download Links, and such) that unifies every single software page, and makes things a whole lot easier to locate!
-Stephen66515 (September 08, 2015, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it a Directory System? ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the update, great work!

- Oshyan

KynloStephen66515:
-Stephen66515 (September 08, 2015, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (September 08, 2015, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Haha no, it isn't a directory system (though not through lack of my bugging mouser to get one, or a repository system!  ;D)

Not a problem at all :) The updates are just rough right now as my brain is frazzled with the sheer volume of links that need to be dealt with (well over 500 in total) - Though a lot of them are not physically being moved to the CMS, we still needed a way to manage them so nothing breaks, and it has taken a little bit of time to come to an agreement on how best to do that.

Things are moving at a much smoother pace now though and we are looking good to be finished "soon"(ish)  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version